Friday, November 20, 2009

Canon PowerShot SX110 Digital Camera

In case anyone reading my blog (if there is anyone) wants a good, decent digital camera, I am selling mine. I'm an eBay seller/buyer as well as have a PayPal account and have been for quite some time. So, you can trust me, honest! I'm going to post on Craigslist as well and then maybe, eventually, eBay if no offers. If all else fails, I'll give it to my father-in-law or hock it at the pawn shop. LOL!

Anyways here is the low down:

I purchased this thing about two years ago, give or take a few months. I wanted a good point-and-shoot digital camera with an optical zoom greater the 3x. I researched for a couple of weeks or so by checking all the different web sites like CNET reviews and DPReview. I also looked at stores like Walmart, NewEgg, Buy.com and Amazon (basically those stores that carried the SX110 at the time) to check the reviews of other purchasers. After much deliberation, I decided on the PowerShot SX110. Of course, I got it way cheaper than probably most people at the time except for those that did their due diligence in price comparison like I did. I probably paid $50-$75 cheaper than the average MSRP.

Once I got it, I was excited to put it into action. It took a little getting used to because I'm used to a compact point-and-shoot where the flash would usually automatically flash/not flash. With the SX110, you had to flip the flash up to use it otherwise it wouldn't flash. Not a big deal once I got used to it but something I wasn't prepared for having to do. Not an issue, just something I noticed.

The camera takes great shots. It's a 9MP camera and it doesn't disappoint. The zoom is awesome as well. The 10x puts you right up to the action even though you may be sitting in the nose bleed section. The camera works well except for between shots. Once I took a shot, it took anywhere from 2-5 seconds before I'd see the LCD screen light back up letting me know it was ready to take another shot. That's not a big deal except for those times you try to catch candid moments and multiple "quick" shots will be necessary to hopefully catch one good shot. I know it's not a DSLR but my little compact Canon point-and-shoot takes pictures almost one after the other.

I played with a lot of the different modes just to see how they worked. All seemed to work well. I didn't ever use the continuous shooting, or what I call burst, mode to see if the camera was ready quicker to take multiple pictures. I don't know why but I guess it never crossed my mind.

Like a lot of the reviews say on Amazon, the battery life of this little powerhouse sucks! It uses two AA batteries which is nice because you can occasionally get a 40-50pk at Fry's or MicroCenter for around $10. The bad thing is that sometimes I'd put in newly purchased batteries and after about 5-10 minutes of shooting with the flash the LCD would say, "Low Battery". I'd be like, "WTF?" At first, thought it was because I would buy these 40pks and the batteries may have sat too long and gotten old. That's why I said, "newly purchased" to show that I did try to troubleshoot this issue. I didn't ever try NiCad AAs but I've heard that sometimes they work differently, better, than regular drain and trash batteries.

The pictures below show that the camera still works: pic 1 shows the LCD works; pic 2 shows the lens works; pic 3 shows the pristine front exterior of camera; pic 4 shows the pristine back exterior of camera.



Just so we are clear, there is nothing wrong with this camera. The reasons I am trying to sell is because (1) I just use my smaller compact 99% of the time since it fits way better inside a front jean pocket and (2) I wanted to be able to take a camera into the Stars or Mavs games to take pictures from the stratosphere in the American Airlines Center but I haven't been to but one or two games since purchasing this camera so it really hasn't been used for it's main purposes.

Click here for the official Product Page.

No comments: