Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tron: Legacy (2010)

Tron: Legacy (2010). Picked this up the same day I exchanged for Black Swan and just got around to finishing it last night. The wife and I started Sunday afternoon but I had to do something while she continued to watch.

Anyway, after all the promos, hype and waiting, I was looking forward to seeing this movie. I don't know if it was because I saw Tron back when as a kid or if it was all the fantastical lighting of the cars, the people, and the Grid.

I don't know if it's because I'm an adult now but this movie didn't do it for me like the original. Truthfully, I cannot recall being wowed by any part of the movie. I can't say that I didn't "like" the movie in its entirety. I just can't recall coming away after watching thinking, "Wow! That part where [insert part] was really cool!"

I actually can't fully or partly remember all of the original movie but I do remember that it made an impact on me. I remember parts of it like I saw it yesterday. I remember the graphics, probably considered horrible to today's, but it was actually very consistent with the way the video games looked at the time. I remember playing the video game at the local arcade.

Okay, back to the "Legacy." The wife hadn't seen the first movie so she sort of had some questions at the start. I feel like a person could watch this movie without actually having to see the first. They did a decent job of doing a sort of "previously on Tron" recap at the first of the movie. Then there were parts in the movie where more things are explained like the fight between Clu, Tron and Flynn that even weren't known to those who have seen the original.

Overall, I think they could have spruced it up a bit. I mean more cool lighting, graphics, races, flying, action, etc., etc. I just found the acting sort of lifeless, except for Zuse. He was memorable.

If you want to see pretty lights, then this movie is for you. If you want to see a fairly hot looking Olivia Wilde, then this movie is for you. If you want to see a pretty good sci-fi action movie, then The Fifth Element is a better option or even The Running Man or Cyborg.

A few other comments in no particular order of appearance:
  • I was sort of weirded out by the CGI of a young Jeff Bridges as Clu. He reminded me a lot of Prince Charming from Shrek 2...cool that they can do it but still creepy.
  • I can understand how it's possible that Kevin and Sam Flynn are humans digitized into the Grid but how on earth can a created program exit the Grid into the real world? I just wasn't following that logic. Great that Sam has some really hot chick to explore...everything...with but is it really fathomable? I mean excluding some of what is truth and reality.
  • And how did Sam get cut and bleed if he has been digitized into the Grid? It's not like "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids." Sam went from 'real world' to 'computer world.'
  • Tron was a "superhero" in the original movie. How the hell did he fall to Clu or get "temporarily converted" to the dark side?
  • Bruce Boxleitner looks pretty good for his age. I'm impressed.
  • Ten years or whatever it was after Kevin disappeared, Allan still has a pager? Really, with the advancements in technology...even something as simple as cell phones?
  • Why the hell would the security guard take the risk of tight-roping the metal crane thingy at the first of the movie to try and capture Sam after he broke into the Encom Tower? I don't think that was within his pay grade. Seriously!
I guess that's enough ranting/babbling for now.

Verdict: worth a viewing especially if someone else picks up the cost.

No comments: