Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Ramen Girl (2008)

The Ramen Girl. This was another one of my Netflix viewings. I've had it in my queue for some time and just never really wanted to watch it. I don't even know why I put it in my queue to begin with. Finally, last week sometime, I decided to at least start it. I guess maybe I queued it because I wanted to see what the quality of one of Brittany Murphy's last movies was.

It wasn't hugely disappointing! It wasn't something I'm gonna have to tell my friends and neighbors that they have to see but it wasn't a total waste of my time.

It reminded me of like a Karate Kid meets Top Chef but there's only one meal to learn to cook: a bowl of ramen. Apparently, it's an ancient Japanese secret that's passed on from master to student. The only way the student becomes the successful protege of the master is if the grand master tastes their ramen dish and gives his blessing.

Oh yeah, that's like teaching kung fu and shit and having sensei approve your pupil or like the Jedi Council does for the Jedi Masters.

The movie was occasionally entertaining. It was also occasionally sad. Overall, this movie could go either way: see it or pass it. I took the chance. I wasn't left feeling disappointed...and I'm hardcore...especially since the movie is really about Brittany's character learning to make ramen with her heart and not her head.

Final verdict: Torn.

No comments: