Friday, August 16, 2013

Sushi on McKinney

Had lunch at Sushi on McKinney today.

It was good sushi. I went with a coworker who actually was the one to suggest it. We first thought of Blue Fish and then Deep Sushi but Blue is a bit more pricey than we wanted and Deep is a longer drive from our work. Sushi on McKinney wasn't our third choice so much as it was the third place that we thought of when we tried to think of sushi places at which to go eat.

I've outlined where we sat in the pic below thanks to Google street (or really-inside-the-business) view.

I'm not a huge quality comparer so I can't say that one place has better eel, salmon or yellow tail than the other. I do notice what I like and flavors that appeal to me. So, I can say that one wasn't any worse than the other. Make sense?

Our actual rolls ordered were the Negihama [yellow tail and green onion] (6ct), Eel Avocado Roll (8ct), Smoked Salmon Roll (6ct), and 2 Shrimp Tempura sticks. My coworker liked the yellow tail best and then salmon but thought the eel was 'greasy'. I thought all tasted just fine but the sweet sauce on the eel was very tasty.

I would be careful ordering a carbonated beverage. I ordered a Diet Coke and it came out tasting too carbonated. My second glass tasted a little better but I don't know if that was because I got used to it or it really was different. Who knows if all other carbonated beverages they serve would be the same but just something to think about.

Our meal totaled up to be $28.xx. The pricing was about the same as I've paid at Sushi Kyoto II. Even though our meal was $28, we only tipped $2. I know it sounds like we gyped them and I felt kind of bad because I'm a good tipper—starts at 20% and goes down from there but usually no lower than 15%. The more I thought about it though the more I realized that they really didn't do shit for us. They took our drink order and brought it out. I filled out the card to order the rolls. They took it and brought our food. They refilled my drink once. Do they deserve a 15-20% tip just because their pricing is so high? We didn't think so.

Sushi on McKinney was a quaint little place. It was much more quiet than I expected on a Friday around noon but I guess not everyone likes sushi for lunch. It's also on a strip of McKinney Ave and backs up to a strip of the service road of North Central Expressway (US Hwy 75) that are populated with many other restaurants of varying cuisines. Because of this, parking is pretty crowded depending on the time and you may run into no parking or parking with dumb douche bags that take up two spaces with their vehicles because that's how privileged they fucking are.

Anyway, if you like sushi, you'll like Sushi on McKinney.

No comments: