Monday, September 09, 2013

Pluckers Wing Bar Lovers & Greenville Location

As usual...I'm a little behind since I started this post but better late than never.

I took the kids to Pluckers Wing Bar (Lovers and Greenville) a couple of weeks ago for the first time. I had been there once previously with some friends and coworkers when it first opened but hadn't been back since—probably at least 3-5 years. My delay in returning wasn't because the food was bad on my first visit but more of the fact that I'm frugal and I think $19.99 for 20 wings is WAY overpriced! In case you need help with the math: that's a dollar a wing. I can buy a pack or two of 8-12 wingettes per pack from Kroger for like $3.50 a pack, a bottle of cooking oil for like $2.00 and a bottle of wing sauce for $3.00. That comes to $12.00. Again, I'm a tight wad and so yes, I would (and have) purchased these items to make my own wings.

So, fast forward and/or rewind to my second visit with the kids.

I originally was going because I had a coupon that got me 20 wings for $13.99. It was only for one person but I thought it would be enough to get us started. However, it turns out that my coupon was expired. The kids and I were already craving the wings so I decided to go ahead and eat at Pluckers.

They had a 10 wings combo 'special' for $11.50 which is still too much but I guess at least it came with a side...which is really just filler for me because I prefer the meat over the potatoes. Anyhow, we ordered the fries as the side and they weren't too bad. My oldest ordered honey bbq while me and the youngest ordered buffalo medium. We went with medium because you know how different restaurants have different measures for flavoring and we didn't want to get something too spicy and not fully enjoy the wings.

My kids were craving and starving but the oldest only ate like 3-4 wings while my youngest ate about 5. They did eat the fries as well as drink almost all of their GIANT freaking sweet teas. I left no chicken bone unstripped and ate all ten. I felt like I could eat more but that was a good start and I'm trying to be less of a pig when eating things I really like. You know, all good things in moderation...or some shit like that.

All of it tasted good. No real complaints other than our server was a little lacking in the 'being in tune with the needs of your customers' department. Too many times I had to wait for a refill on my Diet Coke. I go to a restaurant and order my Diet Coke, it's like an I.V and I need to have it constantly flowing. I have to wait and it affects the tip—which I start out at 20% and work my way down so it gives the server room for error. This guy just couldn't learn from his mistakes and it wasn't really busy. I would see him chatting with other servers and not being attentive to my table when it was right by where he was hanging. I think he barely got 15% and that's only because I was a server once (a damn good one) so I know how it sucks to serve to live. I definitely reward based on the servers ability to replenish my drink before I'm chomping on the ice. Too early is almost as bad as too late because who wants a watered down second drink because I haven't gotten close to finishing the first one?

What the kids and I did walk away with is that Monday is all-you-can-eat wings for $16.99. I think that's a good deal because regularly it's $19.99 for 20 or $11.50 for 10 wings combo. I don't think the kids would eat 20 but I would most definitely be sure to eat 20 at the minimum and probably a lot more.

So, there's my story about my second ever Pluckers visit. I would recommend the specials if you are a bargain shopper like myself. I would also recommend having a backup restaurant at which to eat because there are days when the line is out the door and the seating is packed. We actually wanted to eat at Pluckers three times previously within a week and a half before we did eat there because everytime we drove by it was just too damned packed.


No comments: