Monday, February 16, 2015

Burger Island Dallas

I read about Burger Island about a month or two or more ago. I initially saw it when I first downloaded the GrubHub app. It was one of the few places that delivered and interested me as far as a new place to try. Unfortunately, I wasn't brave enough to try it with my first time using GrubHub—instead I went with Bangkok City for my initial GrubHub order.

Recently, I was talking with a coworker about it and she was game to accompany me to try it during lunch today.

When we arrived, it basically felt like a hole in the wall but one that is on a bustling street of a bazillion other restaurants serving all kinds of food. In fact, it's in a sort of strip shopping center type of location.

Walking inside, there isn't much to brag about in regards to the interior. It's very basic. Olden-type of dining tables and chairs like you'd find in a Waffle House back in the 80s or some diner off a farm-to-market road. There's a sitting area separated from the order line and kitchen area. So, like I said, pretty basic.

The cashier was very familiar with the menu offerings and called back to the kitchen our order as quickly as we ordered. We paid and sat down. About 7-10 minutes later, we had our burgers.

What you see in the photo is the Guacamole Cheeseburger with Curly Fries (her order) and the Hawaiian Cheeseburger with Seasoned Fries (my order). I believe we both had sodas too.

The curly fries ($2.49) were good but probably tasted just like any other place that sells similar ones like at Jack in the Box or Arby's but not as seasoned, if at all, as those places.

The seasoned fries ($1.99) were okay. I think seasoned meant garlic salt and pepper. They weren't very crispy and not as tasty as McDonald's french fries. For me they were passable. If we go back, I'll just share the curly fries or stick with just a burger and soda.

I didn't taste the guacamole cheeseburger ($7.99) but my coworker said it was good. Not better or worse than anywhere else, but it was good. It did seem to come with a good slather or guacamole. As described on the menu, "Loaded with guacamole, American cheese, Provolne cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions."

The Hawaiian cheeseburger ($7.99) was good. It wasn't what I was expecting being called 'Hawaiian' but it tasted good. As described on the menu, "Pineapple, ham, Provolone cheese, American cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions."

The main problem I had with the Hawaiian burger is the pineapple was not consistent throughout the burger. They use pineapple chunks like you would find on a pizza a Cici's versus pineapple slices. I think slice(s) would allow a piece of pineapple with every bite of the burger whereas the chunks were sporadic. Most of them fell out of the burger if you took bites of it vertically versus keeping it horizontal. Overall the flavor was good especially when I got a pineapple in my bite. If you don't get the pineapple, you don't get what they are calling 'Hawaiian' which means you are basically just eating a regular old cheeseburger with MLTPO.

Again, I liked the burger. However, the location is not as convenient as other places for me that have just as good or better burgers are closer to me. Some even have better prices for the same sized entree. I would recommend this place if you are in the area and what a burger different than a McDonald's, Wendy's or Jack in the Box. Otherwise, it's not worth the drive to dine in and, in my opinion, the delivery fee is overpriced on the GrubHub app.


No comments: