Friday, February 06, 2015

Netgear Wireless Range Extender

I purchased this WN1000RP Netgear Wireless Range Extender from Fry's Electronics. It was on sale for like $15 so I thought it would be worth the investment if it did what I needed it to and what it's supposed to do.

So, let's start off by me trying to be a little more fancy with this one and do an unboxing video. Below is the quick unboxing video just to show what's in the box...Exciting to say the least.


The set up was pretty easy for this device. I think even your 70-yr-old grandmother could do it. Simple, I like it. However, after that, it basically went down hill.


If you look at the above image, the labeled signals of "wireless router" and "range extender _ex" are within my home and are the home wireless router and the WN1000RP range extender. What do you see? Five bars on the router and four bars on the extender? Not a big deal right? Except for the fact that I was sitting about two feet from the extender and the router is about fifteen feet up and thirty feet back on the second floor. If anything, the range extender should be showing a minimum five bars! Oh yeah, all those other signals are the various signals outside of my home and of my surrounding neighbors.

So, in my real-life non-scientific test, the range extender already fails for the purpose I purchased it — to extend my wireless range. Okay, it does extend it but it doesn't provide the same signal strength or more of the wireless router itself.

About two weeks later, I tried to connect to it, which I did, but it was no longer connected to my wireless network. I reset it and reinstalled it to no avail with connecting to my network and the Internet. So, I effectively had a plasticky 2 1/2" by 2 1/2" square brick plugged into a wall outlet. You ask why I don't return it. Well, I bought this and didn't get around to using it until about fifteen days after purchase. It then failed which was about thirty days after purchase. The Fry's return time period had passed. It has since been recycled to some electronic graveyard.

If I can save anyone time, effort and money, you should avoid the WN1000RP Netgear Wireless Range Extender no matter how cheaply priced you find it. The $15-$30 you may have saved ends up being wasted if it doesn't work for a longer period of time.

No comments: