Sunday, May 24, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). Watched this movie today from the comfort of my couch via the world wide web. No, I didn't download it but I did watch it through my browser via a will-remain-unnamed website. I'm glad I did. I feel that I might have been disappointed if I rented the DVD and would have absolutely been disappointed if I paid $8+ to watch this in the theater.

I'm all about the action but that's at like the Nitro Circus or Monster Truck events. You go in expecting just straight on action and excitement. However for a movie, I expect a little more. Not a lot more but enough.

This movie had no substance, no story, no real reason to keep my interest. I don't need a full-on story but something other than just driving and killing which overall just weren't that great (the driving and killing). The action scenes like the crashes, explosions and killings have all been seen many, MANY times before. There was no start to the movie. At the beginning, it had some voice over about some shit that I can't recall or even really understood but then it jumped right into the action. Well, first there was a stomping on and killing of a two-headed lizard by Max where he scoops up the carcass and eats it. What point that had to do with anything other than he was hungry is beyond me! So, then it jumps right into the action with Max rushing to get into his vehicle and then getting chased by a spray-paint huffing, white-body painted "gang." They capture him and this form of Max becomes kind of cowardly, if you ask me. Not like the Mel Gibson version where yes he gets captured but he still has a set of balls and takes the torture or whatever like a man. Tom Hardy's version seemed more panicky. I guess he just doesn't seem as hardened and experienced as the previous Maxes. Now, he did become a little more hardened as the movie progressed but the intial impression for me was kind of wimpy. Charlize Theron's character, Furiosa, was more manly. It just kind of bothered me.

The gang leader seemed decrepit. It shows him having some scars and work done on his back scars. It reminded me ala Baron Harkonnen from Dune. However, he wears some kind of oxygen mask ala Bane and he's much better. Also, when he speaks in the movie, it's difficult to understand what he is saying. Some of the time I was wondering if he was speaking a foreign language and I was looking for subtitles.

So, before I get too long-winded, George Miller decided that "high-speed" action and explosions without really anything else would make for a good movie. For me, he was wrong. I've read and heard from other people that it was "good," "awesome," "beyond expectation," etc. I don't know what's wrong with them/me but I totally disagree. It did remind me more of the original movie but without the thin story line it had and without anything new brought to the table other than bigger explosions which weren't always great. It's like Miller said, "Okay, we haven't had an explosion for like two minutes so blow that truck up now."

I really found it difficult to watch it through to the end. However, I just cannot not complete a movie — well there have been one or two probably — no matter how awful it is.

In the end, I just wasn't feeling this movie. I wanted it to be awesome. Hell, I would have taken good. Instead I was left with what the fuck and disapointment.

FINAL VERDICT: Rent it if you must. But make sure you don't spend more than a couple of dollars. If you happen to find short clips of the movie with the chases and explosions, watch those as that's about what you get in the full movie.

No comments: