Friday, May 01, 2015

Meshack's Bar-be-cue Shack, Garland, TX

Some of us friends and coworkers were going to be in the Garland area around lunch time during our work week and decided to try this place. It doesn't open until 10:30 a.m. but we heard it gets busy quickly. In fact, we got there around 11 a.m. and there were already twelve people in line and three in the "waiting area."

We waited in line for about thirty minutes before we got to approach the very small, barred order window. Think of those movies where you see some crack house where they just slide a metal, wood or glass window open to about four to six inches max so you can't really reach in or if you did, it'd probably hurt like a bitch because the person on the other side could slam the "door" shut quickly enough to bust the wrist or forearm.

Not knowing about this place before we got there, I was doing some quick Googling in line to see what was said about this place on Yelp. There was also some article in the food blog of D Magazine called Side Dish.
 
There were a few options that sounded tasty but the overall consensus on Yelp or Side Dish or wherever it was said do not pass on the item called "Da' Jasper."(pic inset) which is a huge entree/sandwich thing and you won't know that unless you read about it somewhere or until after you receive it after ordering it.

So let me tell you what it is. It's starts with two bottoms of sandwich buns, then chopped/shredded brisket, then 6-8 halves of four inch sausages finished with the tops of the buns. When I initially received my order, I didn't think it was supposed to be some kind of double sandwich meal. I thought it was weird to just see the bun tops but just figured it was the way they did their "Texas toast." Speaking of toast, I wold prefer it if the buns were toasted on grill because they might have stood up a little better to the meats which were slightly over-drenched with sauce. The sauce wasn't bad but so much sauce was one of the reasons why I didn't know what the Da' Jasper was. Overall it was pretty darn good. It was a lot of food and I could only eat half. Actually, I probably could have eaten it all but I would have been so miserable at work that I was smart and only kept to half. Funny thing about ordering Da' Jasper was that they only gave me four tiny thin napkins which was ridiculous.

You can probably do a Google of Meshack's yourself but I'll give you a head start: here, here, here, here, here and here. They all pretty much say the same thing which is...

GIVE IT A TRY...you won't be disappointed!

No comments: