Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Chacho's in San Antonio

I just remembered I had eaten at Chacho's off Poss Rd in San Antonio. I was down there for a competition for my youngest. There were a couple of parents we were with who were familiar with the area and recommended this place. The group consensus was that we'd give it a try.

On the night we went, I think it was a Saturday, it was pretty hopping...packed and busy. Interestingly, there were a lot of 'Mexicans' there. I quoted it because they could be Latino, Puerto Rican, Spanish or whatever so I loosely generalize them all as 'Mexicans.' There were also a lot of Black and Caucasian diners as well as a few Middle-Eastern types. Point is, is that this place seemed to appeal to the masses.

Anyhow, the menu had many choices to select from like burritos, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, and nachos. The pricing seemed alright and inline with many Tex-Mex restaurants around Dallas like Desperados, Enchilada's, Matt's Rancho Martinez, Chuy's and such.

I had the fajita taco dinner combo. I figured it was a dish that couldn't suck no matter where it's served. It was served fairly quick especially with the rush the restaurant was having. It was good. Not overwhelming or overly exciting but just tasted good.

This is the Bean & Cheese version of the Pile High Nachos. I didn't order it but a friend did. It looks much larger and more filling than it really is. I mean it is filling but it LOOKS very filling. Unfortunately, the way they make it isn't conducive to making sure the bean and cheese gets in between the nacho chips. It's essentially a pile of nacho chips with bean and cheese poured over the top. As quickly as the nacho cheese starts to thicken and the already-thickness of the beans, it doesn't have much of a chance to absorb and seep into the chips. I did have a taste of the nachos and just like the taco dinner combo, it was just good. It didn't make my mouth water and say I needed a dozen more bites but also didn't make me say, "gross."

All in all, I'd say it was worth trying out this place...a seemingly popular place with the locals in this part of San Antonio, Texas. Would I make a point to return if I'm in the area or recommend it to someone I know who will be? Probably not. But I'm always willing to try new and interesting restaurants whenever I get the chance to travel.


* images courtesy of Google search


No comments: