Sunday, October 05, 2014

Toshiba external hard drive

I have a Toshiba 2TB 3.0 external hard drive. It "crashed" on me. I quote crashed because it technically still worked as far as power and connecting but it wouldn't show/work correctly in My Computer. I also couldn't do anything with it under Computer Management—>Disk Management. The cursor would just turn into the spinning vortex of annoyance.

I didn't think the hard drive was bad because many times in the past I've taken the drives out of their housing and they end up working just fine for at least another 6mos to a year to still going. So, I tried the same thing with this one.

The funny thing about it, which is my reason for the post, is that the Toshiba case contained a Seagate Barracuda hard drive.

Now I don't know if Seagate and Toshiba are owned by the same entity like WD and HGST. If they are, then the post is all for not. Otherwise, we'll go back to it being funny.

By the way, the hard drive works just fine as an internal. Initially, it didn't want to work but after formatting it seems to be functional for the time being. Luckily, it's used for a back up of a back up so not too worried about it failing...if it does. I'm just trying to get more life out of it if I can.

No comments: