Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Happy Place


So, I have this drawing above my desk at work. It's been there for a long time. I forget how long. One of my kids did it for me.

My kids used to come to work with me, and I'm sure they will in the future, when the wife has to go into work. We don't like to leave them alone...okay, they don't like to be home alone...although they are basically a block away from my work and it's always during the daytime hours.

Anyway, they need things to keep occupied while at my work. They usually bring their Nintendo DS or they are easily entertained with drawing. This is the output of one of them, again I forget which.

Point is. I occasionally (almost daily) look up from my desk/monitor where the picture is thumb-tacked upon my cork board and it brings a smile to my face. Okay, who's kidding who. If I think about and stare at it too much, I get teary-eyed because I'm a friggin' wussy! Kids will do that to you...if you are a loving, caring, involved parent.

I'm a laid back guy. It takes a lot to get under my skin. I try to seize the day but am not always successful. I do believe in appreciating the things I have been given and will be given. Oh crap, where am I going with this...

Anyway, I see this drawing as a reminder to enjoy the simple things in life. I forget when it was done or which one did it but it's a daily reminder of my kids telling me that the simple enjoyment of being with their dad at work and drawing pictures was one of the best days of their lives...and mine.

No comments: