Monday, December 29, 2008

ICE sculpture exhibition

Back on December 22nd, the family and I went to see the ICE! at the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine, Texas. I've always wanted to go since it started, a year or two or so ago, but never got around to it. It's not so much that it was said to be fantastically awesome or anything like that. It was more of something that I just wanted to do and say I did it.

And that's what it turned out to be. It wasn't fantastical at all. It was very cold but not miserably so because it wasn't that long of an exhibition. It was neat to see the few but large ice sculptures. The ice slide wasn't that interesting because you really don't slide down it unless you sit and lean back on the parka they gave you at the entrance to keep warm (if you opted for it which I recommend doing so unless you have your own VERY heavy winter coat!). The slide "attendees" didn't bother telling anyone this so a lot of the people who "slid" down arose at the bottom of the slide quite disappointed. I didn't wait in line to go down it but my kiddos did and they said, "It definitely wasn't worth the wait or extra cold temperatures!" The extra cold temperature in the "slide" room was to make sure the slide didn't melt after all the sliding and such. It was so cold in that room that it drained the juice out of my very recently charged camera batteries. After the slide room, there was like two more rooms of huge ice sculptures and the exhibition was over in about 7 1/2 minutes if we exclude the 20 minute wait time in the slide room.

Personally, I think it was very cool but not worth my $60+tax ($20 per adult, $10 per child). Yes, I got gypped but, again, it was something I wanted to do and now I can say, "I came. I saw. I got gypped. I will tell all my family and friends to spend their money on something else." The kids thought it was cool too but it was nothing that I have heard them enthusiastically share with their friends. It's more of an, "Eh, we went to see the ICE sculptures and it was cool but it wasn't that exciting." I can deal with that attitude because I felt the same.

So, it's a been there done that family memory capture with my digital camera. Here's a few pictures to enjoy so you won't have to spend $60. They are quite large and will open in another browser window.




No comments: