Thursday, March 12, 2009

In the news 03/12/2009

This morning on the MSN home page there was an article titled, "Who are the world's richest now?" Click here for the article while it lasts.

Anyway, in typical 'Jay' fashion, it's not the total content of the article -- although interesting -- that caught my eye but the section where they showed the rankings of 5 "celebrity" billionaires. (see screen capture below)

I circled the section for you brainless types. Now, in some generalization these people may be celebrities but to me they are not...except for maybe Richard Branson. Celebrity to me means someone who is or has been in some sort of show on the television or the movie screen. These are not people that are famous for a product they have created and/or sell. The five 'celebs' on the list are famous just for their product(s) except for Richard Branson who is a celebrity to me because I did not really know who he was until he did the failed show, "The Rebel Billionaire". His attempts at multiple world records and occasional guest appearances on shows adds to the credibility of him being in my definition of celebrity. Furthermore, have you ever seen any of the other five on the red carpet? Maybe a few of their products but not the people themselves.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed another one of my way-random rants.


No comments: