Monday, May 04, 2009

Samsung N110 is finally here!

I got my Samsung N110 delivered today. I was popping a semi at work all day once I checked online and saw that it was out for delivery today. I couldn't wait to get home to see if it arrived especially since this is the one purchase the wife doesn't know about...yet. Luckily, she had to leave for work around 1:45pm and I hoped that the delivery wouldn't happen until after that...and...it did. I don't know exactly when it was delivered but when I got home around 5:15pm I made it straight to the front door (I entered through the back door...heh, heh).

What was strange is that they left the fucking box on my porch!! Now granted nobody would know exactly what is inside the box but the NewEgg logo and name is all over the box. How stupid was the delivery service?! I mean I'm glad that I got the product without delay but it very well could have been picked up off my front porch without incident.

Anyway, I've been running updates and certain software installs so nothing extremely in using it yet...except that I am typing this entry on it.

So far, I like the keyboard far better than the MSI Wind. The overall form factor is similar to the Wind. The main thing that makes the N110 better than the Wind is that the Fn and left Ctrl keys have been properly organized. The Ctrl key is on the end with the Fn key immediately to its right. Bonus! Good job Samsung. The keyboard overall seems to be a little better laid out than the Wind or it could be just that it is closer to a regular laptop or even my Toshiba laptop keyboard. You know, like the buttons are all similarly placed. The comma and period keys are bigger than on the Wind. The tab key is smaller than normal but it took just a little bit to get used to. What new keyboard doesn't take time to adjust to, like on my new Asus laptop?

All in all, so far no complaints. I will install Office 2007 later and some other applications as I recall and find them. The hard drive is only 160GB which is actually partitioned into 72GB (C:) and 71GB (D:) for restore and recovery processes. It automatically did this when I initially started up the computer...the Samsung Recovery Console. It gave me options, one being to pass the process over, but I figured to go ahead and do it. If it becomes a space issue with the hard drive I will either backup and then install a new, larger hard drive or reformat to one large partition.

We'll see how things go from here and if there is an update needed on how the Samsung N110 performs or doesn't perform, I will do so.


Goodbye and Good Riddance!

No comments: