Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wimbledon 2011: Roger Federer vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

I don't have much to say about this other than I'm shocked.


I don't think Federer played a bad match (although I only got to watch the first two sets before heading to work). I also didn't think Tsonga played a bad first two sets. It's just that usually when Federer is up two sets to love, he wins the match. I'd like to watch the last three sets...maybe on Wimbledon Primetime on The Tennis Channel tonight.

Anyway, good job Tsonga. I like the way he plays when he's playing well and up to his potential. Sorry for Federer. Sometimes you think that "old" champions should go out on a winning high but they feel like they can do anything (who doesn't) after they win. Was the last major Federer won was the 2010 French Open? Maybe he should have just walked away then. I'm not saying he still isn't a phenomenal player. I just don't like to see those sports figures that were on top for so long sort of flailing here and there before they FINALLY decide to walk away and by then people are feeling sad for them more than excited that they are still playing the game.

So, ramble, ramble, ramble...on to the Rafael Nadal vs. Mardy Fish match. I wish Fish the best and hope he can win the tournament but I'm not super confident in his ability to take the trophy. I like his game though...still serving and volleying in this day and age is such a blessing to watch versus the boring baseline to baseline exchanges.

No comments: