Saturday, May 07, 2005

I need to get a life

Last night, Friday, I didn't get to sleep until almost 3am. Hell, I guess that was this morning, Saturday. I totally planned on getting to bed early. Well, earlier than 3 a.m...way earlier.

I was watching television and creating some web pages for my "home server". I call it my "home server" because I run it off an older machine (PIII 450mhz, 256 RAM) through my network on my DSL connection. It's actually pretty cool to do this on one of my home computers because I'm not using it for anything else. The only problem is it's not quite as fast as I'd like it because the machine isn't that fast and I just have the slowest DSL speed because I'm poor and I really don't need the faster speed for 2x-3x the price. Maybe when I win the lottery. Of course, I've got to play the lottery to win the lottery. Anyhow, I was making some edits to my web pages. I also had to upload them to my Geocities web page and modify them to work there. Geocities is very specific about the naming scheme. I create the pages on my home server and it doesn't matter if I reference folders or files as say, page.htm - Page.htm - PAGE.htm. Geocities however is very picky. If you saved an HTML file as page.htm but reference a link to it Page.htm, it will give a "page not found error" page because the name has a lower "p" but the link is with a capital "P". Anyway, I spent some time on that until I finally decided to take a break.

I was watching some television while doing my web edits. I was watching reruns of CSI. Don't say it... I am not a CSI whore. Yes! I am! I also like Law & Order but the original just isn't the same without Lenny. I haven't watched Trial by Jury but a few times. It just doesn't captivate me like the others have. I typically watch Criminal Intent and Special Victims Unit - mostly reruns on USA or TNT. I just can't get enough of my crime dramas!

Around 10pm, I decided to get off my ass in front of the television (I was using a laptop with remote desktopping to edit my server files) and put it behind my gaming machine. I started playing Medal of Honor: Spearhead. I bought the game shortly after it came out and I already had my DSL connection. I've played Spearhead online or on my local home network (it's been up to 6 computers but now just two gaming machines) but hardly ever the single campaign missions. I started them once but only played for about ten minutes. Anyway, I played Spearhead for about two hours. Then I switched to an OLD game called Sid Meier's Civilization II. I played that game until almost 3am. I know I need to get a life. Leave me alone!

I guess you could say that I have an addiction complex...and I like it! I can't have just one Mr. Goodbar miniature or one Hershey's Kiss or one M&M or one Oreo Cookie or one can of Diet Dr Pepper. It's a damn good thing I don't drink or smoke or I'd be dead before my 68 year deadline - I may explain this deadline in a later post.

So anyways...I get to bed and I don't sleep through the night too well. I try to stay asleep until late in the morning but to no avail. I ended up awaking around 9am and couldn't go back to sleep no matter how hard I tried. Sucks!

I've been thinking about blogging all day - not in an addictive way, more of a "what's the point of creating a blog if I'm not typing in it" way - but I just now got around to it. I was reading other people's blogs to see how uninteresting mine is(n't). Luckily, there are other blogs out there that suck just as much as mine but something favors me...I've just started and I assume it'll get better with time. These other sites I saw have been blogging for months even years. Some are writers, journalists or natural yackity-yackers. There may be hope for me yet.

Well, I'm watching Saturday Night Live now. Johnny Knoxville is hosting. Who would have thunk that Jackass star Johnny Knoxville would be hosting SNL? Now, of all the Jackass-types from MTV, you know them - Steve O, Bam Margera, etc - Knoxville seems like he could be the most normal, semi-intelligent one. I mean you don't see Bam or Steve making a go of it into "mainstream" movies. Anyhow, System of the Down is performing right now. I only know like two songs of theirs. The one they are singing (BYOB) I've heard on the radio. It's repetitive. I think it could have been 45 seconds long and still been just as "good".

Well, I'm going to go play some Spearhead before I get to bed. I'm shooting for 1am at the latest. It's 11:08 p.m. now.

Oh yeah, by the way, they had a CSI (repeat) at 7 p.m. and a CSI: New York (repeat) at 8 p.m. on CBS. I watched them both.

Put me down now as you would a gimpy horse - end the insanity.

No comments: