Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day weekend

Just like every red-blooded American I was looking forward to some good times on the water of the local lake...NOT! I'm lucky if I could afford an innertube for just floating in my pool (well, my rented condominium's pool).

In my self-centered way, Memorial Day basically means a 3-day weekend and a 4-day work week to follow. Don't point your self-righteous finger at me! You know you look at it the same way. Tell me, did you plan to attend the Memorial Day parade in your city's Downtown area? If so, was it really to honor the veterans or for the funnel cake and cotton candy? Reality man! Live it, don't lie about it.

Basically, my holiday weekend was fairly uneventful. Friday night, I stayed up until around 1am. playing a computer game so nothing exciting to report.

Saturday, I played tennis from about 8 a.m until about 11 a.m. when it started to poor rain. I returned home from tennis around 12:30 p.m, which is normally about a 25-30 minute drive, because of some stupid 21-year-old driving in a little truck who decided to start his Saturday morning with a few (quite a few) drinks of alcohol. In his drunken stupidity while driving, he cuts off a tractor-trailer hauling 3000 gallons of fuel. Said tractor-trailer tries to avoid the piss-ant truck, runs off the highway and hits a column support for the overpass. BOOM! We have one dead guy, one drunk in custody and a shut down highway. Hence, I had to find alternate routes back home, in the pouring rain. I get home and the wifey has a play to attend with a "colleague". She's not a friend or acquaintance. She's a "colleague". That's what you are called in academia when you have reached the PhD pinnacle, I guess. The kids and I just hung around the house being bored...well, they were more bored. The wife came home around 5:30 p.m. and my nephew came over around 7pm with his wife and twin kids (1-yr olds). Our lifestyle has slowed so much that we played dominoes! That is definitely an old person's game. We also played a card game called "contract rum". It's pretty fun but long. They left around 11:30 p.m. The wife went to bed and the kids were already there around 9:30 p.m. I went to my office and played more computer games. Before I knew it, it was 3:30 a.m and it was definitely time to call it quits and hit the hay!

Sunday, I woke about 11:30 a.m. The wife and kids were already awake. The kids are always awake early. No peace and quiet for the working parent on the weekends. It's okay. As they say, "I'll get all the rest I need when I'm dead!" I had a roller hockey game at 4 p.m. and another at 8 p.m. I got home from my last game around 9:30 p.m. I gave the wife a peck and a "Hello" and then kissed my sleeping children. I tried to watch a little of "Grey's Anatomy" - it was a rerun - but finally had to take a shower to get the hockey stench off my body. Sometimes the hockey stench is better than smelling salt! After the shower, I hit the computer games again until about 1:30 a.m. because I was planning on playing tennis Monday morning since it was a holiday for me from work. That was about the extent of my Sunday.

Monday, my alarm went off at 8 a.m. I hit the snooze bar and it went off again at 8:10 a.m. I turned it off and laid in "bed" for a few more minutes until I decided that I would just go back to sleep. I was too tired. I say "bed" because I wasn't in a bed. I was on a pallet of pillows and blankets that I slept on because I didn't want to wake my kids when I left for tennis. Anyway, I really wanted to play but I was really tired from staying up late the previous nights and getting up early the next morning. I dozed off and on until about 11:30 a.m. I got up and asked the wife if she wanted to go to our friends' who invited us over for a holiday cookout. She said she didn't want to because she had work to do and the kids wouldn't have much fun since it wouldn't be a good swimming day. Our friends' next-door neighbors were out of town and they have a pool they offered for use to our friends but it was overcast and our kids would freeze, though they would swim until they felt miserable from being so cold. Anyway, to shorten a long story, she didn't want to go there BUT my niece called to say she was going over my parents' house to visit my brothers and my two nephews that live there. (Sidenote: My parents passed away but it will always be their house no matter who in our family lives in it.) My niece just had a baby within the month and we hadn't seen it yet. So, I guess this was as good an opportunity as any. We spent from about 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. over there. We had a cookout with some teriyaki brisket, Caesar salad, rice and macaroni and cheese. It was a fairly nice time. It was freaking muggy though because my oldest brother who lives there refuses to turn on the air-conditioning until the last possible moment which is about the time the summer changes to fall and artificially-created cold air is no longer really needed. No big deal, I don't pay those bills so it's up to him if he wants the air on or not. My niece's daughter is a a cute baby. She was good too. I hardly heard her cry or anything. It's so cool to see them that small, to see their growth as a parent and to now know they get bigger and louder. If I didn't have my own children, I wouldn't care but it's cool now because I've been there, done that. Anyhow, we got back home around 830-9 o'clock just in time to put the kids to bed before it was too late in the evening.

So, did you notice that in my weekend recap there was no mention of the paper writing assignment I was given in class on Friday that is due Tuesday, May 31st, when I get into class? That's because I procrastinated as long as I could until 9:45 p.m. Monday night. Good times ahead...I typed it and my wife proofread and edited it and I typed some more. Finally, I felt that it was complete around 1:38 a.m. which would be Tuesday morning.

Tuesday was going to be a long day.

No comments: