Thursday, June 04, 2009

R.I.P. David Carradine

I won't link the many articles today about the death of David Carradine. I'll just reflect on my own personal tangent...

I grew up watching Kwai Chang Caine in Kung Fu albeit in reruns because I was just a very wee little thing when it first aired.

I think back now and I recall the dusty, Western scenery. I remember Caine talking softly but with hidden vibrato that said, "No really! You just want to keep on walking if you know what's best for you!" He was such a bad ass. I would watch him right along with Saturday Matinee Kung Fu Theatre and Bruce Lee.

Yes, I was one of those kids that did what I saw in the shows. I would make my hand like a blade and punch sand or pebbles to toughen up my like Iron Fist. I would make wooden darts out of tree twigs like Bruce Lee in The Chinese Connection (I think). I would use my index finger to push through sand, mud, pebbles to make it strong to do the Finger of Death. I sawed many rake handles to make a bo staff to be like Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon.

Anyway, Master Po is happy to have been reunited with his Grasshopper.

No comments: