Monday, July 17, 2006

One reason why fancy digital cameras suck

So, I think I mentioned in a previous post that I purchased a Canon Digital Rebel XT because I wanted to learn more about photography.

It's a great camera, don't get me wrong. But like all things great, it's not without its flaws. This isn't just for the Digital XT but I'm sure all SLR-type digital cameras suffer from this problem except maybe the HIGH-END ones which I'll never own because I could buy a car with how much they cost.

Anyhow, you can't take simple, easy, quality pictures in low-light or dark without the tracer effect. I'm sure there is a photography term for it but I call it the tracer effect. It's where you take a picture and the shutter stays open longer so it can gather as much light as possible for the exposure of the shot. That's great except for you get this acid-trip photo instead of the nice shot of the lights, fireworks or whatever.

I wish you could just point and shoot like the point-and-shoot cameras but it seems it doesn't work this easily or I just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I researched this problem on the web and all they suggest for a solution is to get a tripod for those low-light/no-light shots! Who carries a tripod with them to take shots of fireworks that you just happened to see instead of planning for it? So, I went and bought a 5" tripod that extends to 15" because I'd like to be able to take decent night photos. We'll see if it works. What about when I don't have a surface to place the tripod on, then what will I do?

Please, please, please if anyone knows how to change a setting or whatever on these digital SLRs (particularly the 8MP Digital Rebel XT), let me know. I'd like something easier and more convenient than a mini-pod.

No comments: