Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Tipping a waitperson

I took the kids to eat dinner at On The Border this evening while the wife was teaching. Our waitress was like four feet tall but that's not why I'm writing.

We've eaten our meals and she's brought me the tab. I have been carrying a $100 bill around with me for a couple of weeks, looking for times I could break it but no one ever had enough change to do so. I figured the waitress would.

So, I pay with the c-note. It was a $26.14 tab and she brings me $74 broken down into three twenties, one ten and four ones. I do some quick calculations figuring that a $30 tab would be a $4.50 tip at the minimum 15%. I thought she was deserving of the $4.50 but the smallest amount I had was $4.00 and the biggest was $10.00. If you ask me and I wasn't in an enjoyable, nice mood, I would have just given her the four ones plus the fourteen cents she spotted me for a tip. But, in good daddy and waiter-in-the-past form, I ask her to break the ten dollar bill for me. She comes back with change of two $5.00 bills. I'm like WTF!

Now, she either remembers I have four ones or she's too retarded to think about breaking the ten down into a five and five ones. I'm thinking the latter. She's not making it any easier for me to give her a decent tip.

I end up giving her a five and a one which, again, I think she was totally deserving other than the fact I questioned her motives of originally giving me just four ones, a ten and three twenties. I question it because maybe she thought I was a cheap as out with his two young children and she wasn't expecting to get a good tip anyway. I know that's pre-judgmental of people but it has happened in the past.

Basically, because I've been a waiter, I will give you a very good tip starting at 20% if you are a very good server...you could get more. BUT, you have to give me the good service I expect and you have to give me the proper change to figure a good tip.

Anyway, I thought I'd share since I've got nothing else to do right now but rant.

But I'm done for now.

No comments: