Saturday, May 07, 2011

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

My youngest kid changed the password to the only login for their computer and forgot it. It's a Sony Vaio notebook with Windows 7. Funny thing is, my kid saved the password so it wouldn't be forgotten...in a Word document on the computer. The good intentions were there, just not the good smarts.

Luckily, I was able to Google "how to recover Windows 7 password" and a lot of different information was found. I tried a couple of different steps and software but then I found Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. If you Google it, you'll find it just like I did. You'll find a link to download the software. You'll find the instructions on how to burn it to a CD. You'll find out how to use it. I'm not here to explain what is already explained.

What I will tell you is two things:
  1. The software did not change the password for me like it said it would.
  2. The software did clear the password like it said it would.
Since the password was cleared, I was able to log in to the computer and reset the password on the user account. All is well now.

So, if you forgot your Windows 7 password, you need to get Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. It says it works for XP and Vista but I have not used it for those operating systems. It did work on Windows 7.

No comments: