Thursday, June 15, 2006

End of vacation, Mavs/Heat game 4

Not that anyone cares but I’ve been pretty busy, almost too busy, to post. I’ve been on vacation this week but I still had to go to my summer school class and learn about human sexuality.

Between work before vacation, visits from out-of-town family, trying to enjoy my vacation, trying to entertain my wife and kids while on vacation and having to—but failing so far—read 1-2 chapters a day from my main book and 1-2 short articles from two supplementary books, I’ve just not had a “real” open moment to do jack squat. I really need to catch up on my reading, especially since tomorrow is Friday, vacation is over, and my midterm is Monday. The prof gave us part of our study guide today – it is three pages long. Tomorrow, she’s going to give us part two. Ain’t that some shit!? I just want to pull off at least a C+ but I’ll take anything higher as well. So far, I have an A- on my first journal and a 97 on my first quiz. That’s all the grades we have so far. We took a second quiz yesterday.

Fingers crossed on doing well in this class. It covers two classes under the general education curriculum with one class so it will benefit me.

Anyway, Mavs versus Heat game 4 just started so I probably won’t type much more.

Speaking of the Mavs/Heat game 3, I just want the commentators to know that Wade didn’t win it for the Heat! Granted he had a good run in the last 6 or so minutes but he didn’t WIN it for the Heat. What happened is the Mavs decided to sit on their 15pt(?) with around five minutes left. They were dribbling down into the offensive zone and the guy who took it in would hold the ball. He’d hold it and hold it until there was like eight seconds left on the twenty-four second shot clock. Instead of passing it around to one of his teammates to help run the clock AND run the defense ragged, he would hold it and then shoot it himself. Well, when he’d shoot it, most of the time he was at the top of the three-point arc or just within it. That’s not a smart play. So, the Mavs did this like 10+ times – the drain-the-clock-miss-the-shot tactic. All the while, the Heat – mainly Wade – would take the rebound and put in their shot with the occasional three-point shot going in. That’s what did the Mavs in!

Now, I’m all for the rag-the-clock-and-get-your-two strategy when you have a decent lead but when you aren’t making the two you need to at least maintain the lead, it poses a significant problem for winning the game when the clock reaches 0:00 in the final period.

Truthfully, the Mavs are a way better team and they should have taken this series in four but we’ll take five. There’s no money in a quick series. I hear that the home teams make at least like two million dollars per game and that’s just in ticket sales and concessions. Anyway, that’s my take on the finals in ANY sport except hockey since they don’t get the same TV time and popularity so quick or short, the hockey playoffs/finals is all the same.

Well, I’m going to watch the game and maybe read some for my class. I doubt the latter happens but I’ll try.

No comments: