Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Public storage

I'm amazed at the incredible amounts of public storage facilities. With options of climate-controlled and non-climate-controlled, who wouldn't want to store little Betsy's antique doll house or little Timmy's first bike.

It's amazing that people who have too much junk to begin with are willing to store junk in their house, garage, or outdoor storage AND then have even more in a 12 x 12 or bigger storage facility down the street.

Now, I know I am somewhat of a pack rat but I keep mostly necessary things like computer parts or accessories that I never know when I may need it. I used to anyway. This weekend I trashed a whole lot of stuff but it was tough to let it go. Mainly for instance I had a 17 inch and 19 inch monitor in the garage. I have a 15" and 17" LCDs I'm using but what if one of them burned up or just quit working. It costs like $200 for a good replacement LCD monitor but if I still had the 17" or 19" CRTs I would have a quick, easy and cheap replacement. I also had some spare CAT cables, phone lines, network adapters, power plugs...you name it I probably had two or more.

It's also cost productive for me. As a all-around computer help technician (home-based), I could have a spare network adapter that some client needed. I use a spare one I have (brand new or barely used) and charge them a discounted price. It solves their problem, saves me time from traveling to the computer store and makes me instant profit as it's something I already had in stock. All good times!

Anyway, something to prove that public storage is either a crazy phenomenon OR a genius way to make the easiest money is the state of Missouri. On my recent jaunt through Missouri, although it was there last year and the year before, I think it's between either Springfield or Joplin, and St Louis there is a stretch of highway with not much industrialization. The most you see is billboards advertising the Branson shows or some caverns to see (I think I recall one billboard state that Missouri is the most cavernous state). There are no business or residential areas save for maybe a few houses in the general mile radius. But what do they have sitting in this area on the side of the highway??? A self-storage facility (non-climate controlled) with about forty doors. Truly amazing and weird at the same time.

Oh well. I'm done.

No comments: