Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Beretta 92FS

I am officially packing heat!

A coworker and I made a run to B&S Guns in Garland, Texas. You can see the location on Google Maps.

I have been looking into purchasing a hand gun. Not because I need it but more out of a "just-in-case" scenario. I'm one of those persons that believes it's better to be prepared than not, especially with the economy the way it is. Desperate times leads people to do desperate aka STUPID things!

I've been talking with my tennis buddy about hand guns. He's a collector of sorts and is pretty familiar with the different makes and models. He owns a Beretta 92 and he likes it. In case you are not familiar with it, like I wasn't, check the pic.

As my buddy said, "You know the gun that Mel Gibson had in Lethal Weapon. That's the Beretta." My buddy had the stainless steel version while Mel had the blue steel--which is the version I got. Though not because of Mel but because it is cosmetically appealing and it was the only one they had. Mine has wood-grain...um, enhancements...on the grip too.

Anyway, I can't wait to shoot it. I'm a little nervous as the last time I shot a hand gun was about thirteen years ago and it was a simple 22 revolver. I believe that's the last time I shot a rifle too and it too was a 22. 22s have no kick and I hear the Beretta has a decent kick. Not that it's scary, but it's just been a long while for me since handling a gun, any gun, other than laser tag or airsoft ones.

I also haven't told the wife. I did mention to her in the car this morning that I had to get a gun soon as I hear Obama is wanting to make some changes and the real gun fanatics are stocking up while they can. She responded with, "I guess you'd better get one fast then since he's about to enter office." Now, I could use that as a valid excuse to go ahead and purchase but she probably still isn't going to be happy. It's not that she doesn't like the idea. She just hasn't been around guns and she's somewhat scared to have one in the house for a few reasons but the main one being the kids. I wouldn't even tell them because the oldest would freak out anyway.

The thing is, is that I saw a 22cal pistol that was really cool looking and tiny enough for her to shoot (as well as big enough for me to handle) but it wouldn't have any kick since it's just the measly 22. I think it could be some for us to do together as a couple. That sounds funny as it makes us sound like some redneck couple. Anyway, I think the 22cal I was handling at B&S was called a Walther P22. I may have to go back and get it for the wife or maybe just a little dinky gun range shooter.

No comments: