Tuesday, January 06, 2009

In the news 01/06/2009

HEADLINE READS: AP Source: Bradley, Cubs agree to $30M, 3-yr deal

IMHO, this is what is wrong with the world.

When a guy that plays a sport in which he basically does nothing (it says so in the article here) can make $10mil a year for 3 years, to me it says, "WHAT THE FUCK!?"

Now granted, kudos to the guy for getting the dough for doing nothing but come on people (MLB team owners), have you not realized that in the end you get screwed on these kinds of deals? Look at the A-Rod deal that brought him to the Texas Rangers. I believe the Rangers are still paying part of his gajillion dollar salary and he now plays for the New York Yankees.

Anyway, as a fan, I would think they would do better at pleasing the fans like taking some of the $30mil and give free jerseys to kids/adults or have a major discount ticket night or something. I really don't think that there are a lot of people knocking down the ballpark gates to get in to see this ONE particular player. Know what I mean?

Look at Michael Jordan. Undoubtedly one of the best basketball players ever and he made more money from outside the Bulls' organization with endorsements. I believe that's the same with Tiger Woods. And on the flip side, wasn't it Scottie Pippen that said he'd take a pay cut to get/keep people if it help the TEAM win another championship? I think some other team sport player just recently made the same gesture.

Anyway, I just thought I'd rant a bit when I saw this news article heading.

No comments: