Saturday, January 24, 2009

Credenza

I've been in the market for a credenza. I've been looking for one for a few months. I didn't want an expensive one although there are some really nice and fancy ones. I just wanted something that looked nice, matched my office desk, made of wood (not that particle board shit), had lots of storage space and decently priced. I really don't need matching but my wife does because my "office area" is at one end of our fairly long and spacious bedroom. Why it has to match I don't know since the bedroom isn't exactly a conversation area nor is it on the main level so no one is really going to easily see anything in it. I just do what the wife says...on this anyway.

I have been scoping out Craigslist to find this much needed but worth tthe wait piece of furniture. In fact, I checked daily, sometimes hourly, at the free listings with a picture and the furniture section keyword: desk, has a picture and a max of $100 - although that is even above what I want to spend. The $100 max though can include a credenza AND a desk, or a shelf, or a whatever. So, although $100 isn't what I truly want to spend, if I can get something really good and worthy along with the credenza then it might be worth it.

What you find on Craigslist and even one place I will mention further into this post is that people think highly of their shit. In fact, some people are literally selling some shitty piece of furniture for the price of something comparable for brand new or even a slightly higher price BUT brand new. Now not all of the furniture is shitty but when people spend $500 and want $250, I'm not sure Craigslist is where it's going to sell. In fact, I saw a decent but used desk and sort of modified (the middle drawer was altered to sort of be a keyboard drawer) go from $100 to $60 over a period of almost two months and it still hasn't sold. Now, I'm not stupid and I'd be the same - I'd want something in return for my buying it originally but at the same time, if it's just been sitting in storage somewhere it wasn't exactly making money for you (me) anyhow. It's a tough decision, I know. But as a buyer, I'm not paying too much for something used or very used just because the seller feels like they deserve more money than it's worth.

Anyway, I finally got a chance to run by a store that has listed items on Craigslist called The Benefit Store. I went last weekend and spent about 30-45 mins walking the place and looking at different desks and credenzas. I saw some really nice ones but they were way out of the price range I was looking to spend. Some were probably pretty worth their price or close to it but no way could I afford $700 for a really cool credenza...but it was a pretty cool piece of furniture.

I ended up getting this baby. It was decently made, all wood and CHEAP! It was heavy and I got it upstairs to my bedroom all by myself. I'm just superman, I know! I got about 3/4 of the way up the stairs and I started thinking to myself, "What the hell was I thinking trying to do this myself?" The problem was I couldn't go back down the stairs because it was further than finishing pulling it up. So, I persevered!

Anyway, I'm thinking about a cheap hutch-type addition to the credenza or my current desk. We'll see what I can find. Of course, the wife says, "That's cool but make sure it matches!"

Easy instructions to follow, right....?

No comments: