Saturday, July 25, 2009

Watchmen (2009)

So, as mentioned in the previous post, I watched Watchmen and I must say, "I'm not impressed."

Now, I'm not a knowledgeable fan of the comic so I wasn't all giddy and excited to see it made into a movie. In fact, about halfway into the movie, I had to pause and Google the Watchmen to find out what it was about.

After reading the Wiki on it, I must say that I'm not impressed and the story line of the comic...and the movie...is a little bland. I assume it has a following similar to things like The Evil Dead and others that were "cult-like" after (sometimes years after) their original release.

It was almost like the majority of the movie was used to explain the background of the Watchmen and then, after two hours, it got a little more interesting. And the interest wasn't just when my hopes were fulfilled and Silk Spectre II (Malin Akerman) showed her naked body while banging Night Owl II (Patrick Wilson) in the Archie. I truly made the painfulness of watching temporarily much better.

Spoiler Alert! I must say that I'm bummed that Dr. Manhattan killed, more like vaporized, Rorschach (who I recognized in the movie but at times looks like Danny Bonaduce) but left Ozymandias alive. The least Manhattan could have done was kept the secret, which is why he killed Rorschach AND kill Ozymandias for doing his insane plot to unite the world! I would have.

Anyway, in my totally objective opinion, the movie was more hype than substance. Maybe it was made this way to make way for sequels, I don't know. It seems to me that other comics did a better job of transitioning to movies. It may be because those movies weren't really used to explain the backgrounds of the heroes or they just did a better job with storyline and direction to integrate it better.

So, rent it if you want or are a fan. Otherwise, let it stay on the shelf.

No comments: