Friday, December 10, 2010

Jere Lehtinen retires from the NHL

Jere Lehtinen is a class act. He will always be one of my favorite Dallas Stars players.

What secured my thought in knowing he is such a great person and player is when he said,
"I choose to focus on all the great times I had playing over the past 15 seasons, understanding that I am very fortunate to have played all those years with one organization. The memories I have playing in Dallas will never be forgotten and I will always be proud of the fact that I finished my career where I started it."
That's something that many athletes of any sport like Mike Modano going to Detroit and Emmitt Smith going to Arizona cannot say. I get they want to play and feel they can play but in reality it never works out like that. Instead of going out as the champions they are(were) they gave it up for the money (in my opinion).

Anyway, I'll miss seeing Lehtinen (as I already have this season) on the Stars but what a classy way to bow out of a sport he loves.

Link to story here while it lasts.

(pictured courtesy of SI.com)

No comments: