Wednesday, March 02, 2011

How effective is product placement?

I don't know. How do you/can you effectively track such a thing? I really don't think they have a sure fire way at this time.

I recently saw some article that said Apple won the award (imaginary, I think) for most product placement in movies, TV shows, and the like.

That's great but does it really make people want to get an iPod, iPad or Mac for themselves just because they saw it in a movie? It's just not trackable. Now, if they had a product that was specifically made for that movie or had something that made it unique because of the movie (something like the U2 iPod even though I don't recall it was in a movie but you get my point, I hope), then maybe it could be tracked.

I'm not saying this isn't a viable marketing tool. I'm just curious on if they take the time to track something like this.

What made me type this is different kind of product placement. The product placement is obviously positioned strategically for certain potential customers but I'd like to know if it really works. I would think somewhat because I'm a male and I know how we think (you'll see the correlation when you see the advertising product placement).

Click here to see the first image. Enticing? Yes. Are you aware of the product that's being advertised? Maybe. Are you thinking about the product that's being advertised? Males = Not really, Females = Maybe. If you know what the product being advertised is, are you interested in buying it? Males = Maybe but probably not for the real reason of liking the product. Females = Who knows?

Click here to see the second image. Enticing? Yes, especially to males. Are you aware of the product that's being advertised? Males/Females = Wha...can almost see boobs. Are you interested in buying the product being advertised? Males = Still can almost see boob, Females = No, because the close up of the actual product was a better view of the product.

I don't remember where I saw this link but product these photos are trying to sell can be found here while it lasts.

So, which is better for sales: product placement in movies/shows or product placement on an attractive model? We may never know.


No comments: