Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Ignorance

I cannot stand ignorance. Not the kind where someone can’t rattle off what 9 times 9 is but the kind of narrow-minded ignorance that basically says, “It’s my way or the highway!”

I don’t mean the “my way or the highway” statement of a father/mother to their child.

I mean the stupid idiots that say “marriage is between a man and a woman” or “races shouldn’t mix” or the nimrods that drive 55-60 in the fast lane and won’t move out of the way to be courteous but would rather be peanut-sized dicks!

Steve, a coworker of mine who is the Director of DIVERSITY for my department, sent an email out regarding the Women’s Center on campus seeking gay/lesbian graduate students that might be willing to mentor undergrads. He sent a general information email to the class listservs we have for our MBA programs. Some closet-case-himself—I’ve seen his picture and he looks gay!—replied to Steve and to our Assoc. Dean of MBA Programs saying that he found the email offensive since he was not gay.

What a friggin’ idget! It wasn’t sent directly to him but he seems to have taken it awfully personal. Steve replies to him politely and politically correctly and then this guy replies going on about how marriage is a union between a man and a woman in the state of redneck-fucks, I mean Texas. He said something to the effect that he does not approve of the gay/lesbian lifestyle and blah, blah, blah.

Of course, Steve is gay and I’m sure he’s dying to reply to this moron but the Assoc. Dean said for him not to respond. Saga to continue if I get the gossip on how it ends.

I’m in no way gay or lesbian, although being a lesbian male would be quite interesting – I guess that would still make me straight – but in my book, to each his own. As long as it doesn’t affect me personally, let them be who they are. I’ve known Steve for 5+ years and his chosen lifestyle (as some would say) doesn’t affect our friendship. He’s a great, giving and caring person. The world would be so lucky to have more generous people like him.

I just had to rant quickly because this really irked me. Mainly for the fact that the guy had to take it so personally, like he was being singled-out as being gay because he got the email. Also, it makes me wonder how he would have reacted if it was an informative email about blacks, Mexicans or Asians. Would he have gotten bent out of shape because he is a Caucasian? Or if it came from his current/future employer? Would he have responded so defiantly?

Freakin’ idiot! Do the world a favor and just put the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger!

No comments: