Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Shawn's wedding part deux

Well, Shawn and Theresa are officially married! The wedding was pretty nice. It was held at Cross Timbers Winery in Grapevine, Texas.

Like previously posted, I had to be there by 5:30 p.m. even though it wasn't supposed to start until 6:30 p.m. We had to be there early for pictures. My wife and I arrive around 5:34 p.m. (we left the kids with Grandmama because they really didn't feel like going and we didn't want to keep them out too long). Anyway, my wife was bitchin' about me being late. I get into the place where they guys are and they aren't even finished getting dressed! They basically had their tux pants and an undershirt on. Dumb asses! Of course, I found out later that they couldn't get dressed in the room they were in because the bride’s maids were in there before and they had to wait until they were finished. Excuses, excuses!

Anyway, we finally started the guys' pictures around 6ish. I think the wedding ceremony started pretty much on time but I really wasn't paying much attention to the time while waiting for it to start. Judith and I were the last to walk down the aisle before the bride and her parents. I get on the stairs to the gazebo and I have to face west. Which to my luck just happens to be the way the sun is setting and I got to bask in all it's glory for the entirety of the ceremony - about 20 minutes. Talk about getting shafted!

So, the ceremony was over but we had to go into the barn and take more pictures. I forgot how painful weddings are when you are in them and not just an attendee. On the schedule, the food was supposed to start at 7:30 p.m but we didn't get done with pics until closer to 8 p,m. The crowd was getting restless and some even left. I think most of those that left were elderly but I'm not sure. I wasn't out there and I just heard that people were leaving.

Near the end of taking pictures, they asked for the Garza family (Theresa’s family) to enter the barn for a family picture with the bride and groom. That emptied the outside of the barn with the exception of about 10-15 people. I think there were like 30 “Garza-family” members.

Once the pictures were done, we were able to eat. It was catered by Wilhouette’s – a place Shawn and I had been to many times in the past. It was pretty good eating: cole slaw, potato salad, barbecue sausage, barbecue brisket and barbecue chicken.

After eating, it was the traditional first dance then the dollar dance (where you pay a dollar to dance with the bride and/or groom). My wife paid two dollars – one dollar to dance with each of them. My wife was a little tipsy, too much wine and not enough dancing. The DJ was free – a previous student employee of Shawn’s – and he played music like he was doing it for free. Shawn told me that the mother-in-law was pressing him for Tejano music. I asked him, “like Selena, Christina Aguillera or Shakira?” LOL! He said, “No. Real Tejano music.” Well, that’s what they played. Shit Tejano music. The Mexicans that were there, and there were a lot of them, didn’t even dance to the music. Occasionally, there would be the same one or two but not anyone else. Theresa’s father, Armando, danced. He danced quite well and my wife danced with him because I told her I didn’t want to dance. Partly because I don’t like to dance but mostly because my wife tends to want to lead. That tends to irritate me and then it’s not fun for either of us. My friend Keith and his wife, Tammy, came to the wedding. They have known Shawn for a long time too. They didn’t like the music and Tammy wanted to dance as well. Oh well, I guess you can’t have everything when it’s not your wedding although what the point of the Tejano music was when no one danced to it I’ll never know.

The wife and I left around 11 p.m. She was very tipsy and all the guy friends were saying, “You are getting lucky tonight, dude!” What they don’t know is that I know my wife and she’s either going to be passing out on the thirty minute ride home or the buzz will wear off by the time we get home. It was the previous. She wasn't feeling well, almost like she was going to throw up, because she had her head out the window on the drive home. I thought it was amusing.

We get home and Grandmama was ready to get home. It was really late for her although she was asleep for some time before we got home. The wife said she had to use the bathroom but I knew she was probably just being safe and not wanting to puke anywhere else but the toilet. My mother-in-law asked if she was going to be alright and I said, “Yeah. If not, she’ll live and learn.” I went to check on her and she was hugging the toilet with her cheek resting on the toilet seat. I knew she was gone because I know she wouldn’t touch the toilet with her face if she was sober. I’m so loving, I went to get the digital camera took take her picture. She moved positions a bit by the time I got back to snap the shot but it was still good enough to show and poke fun of her later.

I checked on her a few more times within an hour before I went to bed. In between checking on her and getting my tennis stuff ready for the next morning, I was picking fleas off my legs, smushing them and putting them in a bowl so I could show the landlord or exterminator that the flea problem is a REAL pain in the ass!

I guess that’s about it for the wedding recap!

No comments: