Thursday, October 05, 2006

An email chain letter that almost made me cry

I know, I am a woman trapped in a man's body...This is just one part of the entire chain letter that was title something about how we should treat others in the world because you never know who you might have been helping - one was about in the 1960s how a white man helped a black woman who was stranded on a highway during a rainstorm and it turned out to be Mrs. Nat King Cole.

Anyway, this is the only one that really caught my gut because I would have done this for my brothers and sisters when I was a young boy and before I was wisened by the years of seeing their true colors.

It also got me because my kids would do this for each other as youngsters and I think they would do it later because that's the type of morals and principles we have instilled in them and will continue to build upon so they won't turn out like my crap-hole brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews have.

Anyway, to the point...I'm sure most of this is made up but it rings some truth to it in the real world.
Giving when it Counts...

Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a hospital, I got to know a little girl named Liz who was suffering from a rare serious disease. Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her 5-year old brother, who had miraculously survived the same disease and had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness. The doctor explained the situation to her little brother, and asked the little boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his sister. I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, "Yes I'll do it if it will save her." As the transfusion progressed, he lay in bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing the color returning to her cheek. Then his face grew pale and his smile faded.

He looked up at the doctor and asked with a trembling voice, "Will I start to die right away".

Being young, the little boy had misunderstood the doctor; he thought he was going to have to give his sister all of his blood in order to save her.

No comments: