Wednesday, October 04, 2006

STOLEN: Black and silver bike seat...

also stolen was the nut, bolt and clamp that holds the seat secure and in place.

What is the world coming to when my bicycle seat is stolen while my bike was chained to a bike rack at the local rail station? Of course, I did leave there overnight but that is beside the point.

See, I had to ride my bike to the Mockingbird DART station because my wife was too busy to give me a lift in the vehicle. I needed to keep a schedule to get to Union Station in downtown Dallas to catch the TRE that goes to downtown Fort Worth. Anyway, I rode my bike to the station and chained it to the bike rack. My nephew met me later in the day in Fort Worth - I figured I could treat him to Risky's BBQ all-you-can-eat ribs. Good times! Anyway, he drove out there and I drove back to my home in Dallas, thinking I'd pick up my bike a while later after I rested and relaxed from a long train ride and a long day of walking around downtown Fort Worth.

Well, time passed and I forgot until about 10:30 p.m. that night. I was too lazy to get up and go get it. I figured that it was a cheap bike - it cost my brother about $75 - so who would want it. If someone stole it, it's not like I was out a whole lot if I had to buy a new one. I look back now and wonder why thinking like this was coming from me: a person who is a tight wad on certain expenditures and any money is a lot of money to me! Anyway, I stayed home and vowed to pick it up the next day.

The wife picked me up for lunch and we drove to the station to find my bike was still there, chained to the rack, seemingly untouched. As we got closer, I had to giggle a bit because that's when I noticed the bicycle seat was missing. Upon closer inspection, I see that they took the whole seat apparatus - the seat, the clamp that goes around the neck of the seat pole, and the nut and bolt to tighten the clamp. It's not like the seat was this awesome, one-of-a-kind thing that was really worth stealing. Hell, you can probably buy it for like $10 at Wal-Mart. Amazing!

I was amused at the time and effort and tools whoever it was had to remove the seat but they didn't try to remove the back tire. The front tire was chained to the rack as well as the frame of the bike. Maybe a twenty-six inch rim and tire is not as easily smuggled from the scene of the crime as just the seat. Who knows!

Anyway, I guess the lesson learned is nothing is NOT not valuable enough to be not stolen.

No comments: