Friday, September 19, 2008

Did I mention how much I hate working?

I do. It's a shitty thing that we are made to work to survive, especially if we have kids, a family.

Work isn't as welcoming as it used to be. It doesn't feel like it anyway.

I'm pissed. I'm bitter. I'm so easy-going that things roll off my shoulders at phenomenal speeds (usually) and I get over my pissed and bitterness. Some things I hold onto for a long, long time but others just kind of bounce off immediately or hang around for just a short time.

I don't think so today, especially since it's a culmination of a few days.

My immediate boss has push buttons that should not have been pushed. Not because I'm this unpushable button guy but because she crossed a line.

She complains to me about work and coworkers within our office using colorful language to do so. I try not to get sucked in because I can curse like a sailor with the best of them but I know it's not something I should not do at work especially with my immediate supervisor.

Anyway, I considered us on a friendly level...more than boss-underling...more like work friends. We weren't like this because I wanted it. I tend to distance myself because I know people will fuck me over. It is inevitable and always happens no matter who or what level of "friendship" you are on among yourselves. It pisses me off to get stabbed in the back or something of the like when I allowed them to be inside my "friend" web. Of course, these work friends aren't all the type of friends that I would go to world's end for. There are a couple but no more.

So, the other day I got out of my 8 a.m. class at 9:30 a.m. and I get a call from this sheet rock repair guy. We had some plumbing issues where the plumber had to cut in the wall and the sheet rock guy was coming to assess and fix the problem. He said he could meet right now (or then) otherwise it would be later in the day or even week. So, I made a judgment call. I came back into the office. My immediate supervisor was not at her desk so I told her equal counterpart that is sometimes a stand-in boss for me when the regular one is out of the office. I told the stand-in that I had to go home to meet the repair guy to let him in. She said, "Okay."

I didn't realize I'd have to stay there while they repaired the roughly 2' x 4' hole. They showed up to inspect it, took measurements and then went to get the supplies. They plugged the hole and then they had to seal and paint it. By the time this was completed, it was around 3 p.m. I emailed the boss lady and CCed the stand-in to let them know that I guess I will just take the full day as vacation since I had to pick my kids up from school at 3:30 p.m. and I didn't see any point in coming into the office for an hour afterwards. The boss lady replies saying, "Thanks for letting me know – was this a last minute issue? If not, you need to remember to ask for the time off in advance, even if it’s at the start of the day."

What the fuck is that!?

I felt like she is accusing me of making my own decisions on when I can take time off. I mean it would be nice but I know where I am on the food chain at work. That bitch pissed me off that day. I was reeling. After talking with the wife, I calmed a bit and then a few days passed and it slid under the rug. That was until she started talking to me the next day or so about her personal opinions, show watchings and such. I was like, "Why the fuck do I want to listen to you, bitch, when you just offended my intelligence?" Gah! I don't do a good job of letting all things go especially shit-ass statements from my supposed superiors...in title only, not in overall intelligence!

A couple of weeks later, I've sort of moved on. I don't get personal on my side of the conversations but she still feels the need to talk to me. I'm just too nice of a guy, I guess. Except for today!

The boss is out of town the entire week. The stand-in is here. I have a class on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I work through my lunch because the boss lady thinks I need to make up for that hour or so I am in class. Like that hour or any hour is that important in the grand scheme of things! It's not like we aren't in a slow time of the admissions cycle and there isn't much to do! I'm okay with it, to an extent. Basically, I deal with it until I complete my degree and then I'm going to be like, "What now, fuck sticks!?"

Anyway, the boss lady emailed the stand-in the other day this week saying something like, "[Jay] is supposed to be at his desk/office during this time but I couldn't get hold of him? Do you know where he is?" Again, what the fuck!? I know this about the email because the stand-in told me. In fact, I wasn't at the office because I was at the stand-in's house hooking up her new Bose DVD entertainment all-in-one system during what would be my work-thru lunch hour.

Oh well, it's the end of the day and I guess I'm done ranting. I got to go home and watch movies and hope that the weekend will help me mellow and forget and let it go.

I just need to ride it out and finish my degree in the next couple to three years and then give them the finger on my way out the door! I mean I don't have to leave but it would be nice to make them suffer since I can do all the people's jobs in my office but they can't do mine. That's sort of job security, right?

No comments: