Monday, November 15, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

— versus —

I watched the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. The World the other night. After Googling for the movie cover, I came across these two variations. I think the one on the left is the one Blockbuster uses for the movie DVD rental. The one on the right I believe was used as a promotional poster. Anyway, I think I like the right one versus the left but the left gives a little more insight into what the movie entails.

I didn't know what the movie was about. I don't know what the comics are about (there are comics, right?). I just knew that it was a new movie out on DVD and it got good press and pretty favorable reviews.

After watching the movie, I can say that it was a decent flick. I enjoyed it a lot although sometimes I couldn't tell whether Scott was dreaming, fantasizing or the fighting and dating was real. I assumed that comes from lack of the comic knowledge. The movie kind of reminded me of Bruce Lee's Game of Death where he had to fight up levels to reach the "Big Boss" which the game Kung-Fu Master was based on as well.

Although Scott (Michael Cera) isn't a really attractive guy, I think the actress that played his sister, Stacey (Anna Kendrick), is a much more attractive love interest. I guess she didn't fit the "punk rock" girl look as well as Mary Elizabeth Winstead aka Ramona Flowers. Ms. Winstead just didn't have the eye-appealing wow factor for me but I guess for someone such as "bottom-of-the-social-ladder" as Scott would see it differently. One of the characters I really like was Knives (Ellen Wong). I think Wong played her character very well and the character itself was essential to many parts of the movie. I especially liked when Knives and Scott fought the big boss, Gideon Graves (Jason Schwartzman). It was quite entertaining and, for me, Knives stole her part of the fight scene.

Overall, I think the movie was pretty good. I'd watch it again and would even recommend it to a friend. I feel for Michael Cera though because he is pidgeon holed into one type of character no matter in what movie he is involved. He does it well and if he can make his millions off of it then he better do it while he can. Look at Jack Black. He was pretty much a one-dimensional actor. Funny as shit in what he did/does but where did he go? Hopefully, he banked his paychecks!

Anyway, if you get a chance to watch Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, you wouldn't be wasting your time...in my opinion.

No comments: