Friday, October 07, 2005

Cop or criminal? Hard to tell.

I’m sure I mentioned this before but I work on a college campus. Today, the weather is quite cool. I’m sure it’s not more than 60 degrees F.

I was just walking back from getting me a sandwich at the student center when I saw a white Ford explorer with the campus logo on the driver and passenger doors drive by. Behind the wheel was a black woman with a black knitted cap. If I didn’t know who she was, I would have thought someone had just stolen a campus security vehicle. I could just see her from the shoulder up. She could be wearing something to designate that she was a security officer below shoulder view but I couldn’t see it.

It was just kind of funny to me how 1) none of the students would care 2) none would notice any difference and 3) how any ethnic person (male or female) could be profiled just by the way they dress. Like I said, she had that “burglar-look”.

So there you go, another random thought...

No comments: