Sunday, October 02, 2005

Stars versus Avalanche. Oh my freaking gawd!

After a whole day and a week before that of packing my shit and moving it to a storage facility, I went to the final preseason game for the Dallas Stars on Saturday. And dude, it was well worth the wait!

My wife got four tickets from a student that she tutors. He's been a long-time tutoree(?) and his father seems to be a nice guy. His father purchased season tickets to the Stars and offered up some tickets to my wife. She said "hell yeah" on my behalf. On Wednesday, the tutor guy asked if we'd like to go to the game on Saturday against the Avalanche even though it's just a preseason game. I said, "I don't care if it's a preseason game. I'd still go!" Well, he made a call to his father and Thursday morning at 6:45 a.m. there is a knock on my door at the shit-hole duplex. I was wondering "who the hell?" I opened the door and it was the FedEx guy with a delivery for my wife. I signed for it and gave it to her. She opened it and saw that they were the tickets to the game. Woohoo!

Later on in the day, the wife looked up the seating chart for the stadium for the game on the internet. Little did I realize, until then, how close we'd be sitting. Row H, center ice. Each ticket had the price of $135 printed on it. The wife was excited and the kids would be surprised and excited to go - the kids weren't told yet, hence the surprise.

Well, Thursday I had to take a vacation day from work to move a bunch of shit and then Shawn came over around 1 p.m. to get the couch and twin bed frames because he was taking them to his house. We didn't want to throw away a good, leather hide-a-bed couch and twin bed frames and he could bomb them since he doesn't have kids. Anyway, he said he came by to help me move not just to get the furniture we were giving him. Miracles never cease! I'm glad they don't because he actually helped out quite a bit with his truck.

Friday came around and I had to move more shit and take another vacation day. Shawn wasn't able to help that day because he had to work and work late. I pretty much got everything moved that needed to be moved by 8:30 p.m. that night. I left a few things that we were giving to the landlord's porter. A porter is basically a helper/ready-man for rental properties. We asked the landlord if we could be out by Saturday because Shawn had to work like I said all night Friday and he needed to get the couch and twin bed frames but couldn't do so until Saturday. I was going to play tennis Saturday and then come back to move the final stuff and take out the trash. With being sick (I missed Monday and Tuesday of work because I was hacking loogies that I could launch about 10 feet) and tired (even though I was sick I still had to move shit those days as well), I decided to stay home and try to sleep in a little bit.

So, Saturday morning/early afternoon Shawn and I moved shit until about 3:30 p.m. We had to finish early because I assumed the game was at 7:30 p.m. About this time, the wife said she didn't feel like going to the game and the kids didn't seem too interested either. I asked the kids and they said they'd rather stay home at Shawn's. I think mainly because they have a dog and my kids have begged for one for the longest time. Also, they have been a little under the weather so it may not be such a bad idea for them to stay home. I verified with the kids and they said they'd rather stay home. I asked Shawn if he wanted to go. He said, "hell yeah!" We called asked Rob if he wanted to go and he said, "hell yeah" too! That left me a fourth ticket for which I didn't have a person to offer it to.

I called my friend, Keith, to see if he could go on the spur of the moment. He checked with his wife and she wasn't too happy about it but said, "go ahead and go!" He didn't know how to take that. Was it a "go ahead and go you bastard and I will be mad for a few days" or was it a "go ahead and go but I really want you to stay"? He asked again and she said, "just go!" So, he said, "I'll meet you out there at the DART station to ride to the American Airlines Center."

Cool, the four attendees were set.

About 6:15 p.m. the wife got out the tickets and she saw that the time on them said "7:00 p.m." Holy shit! We are going to miss the first period! Shawn, Rob and I rode to the DART station. I told them to go ahead and go because they shouldn't have to miss it since I didn't get the time straight. I'd wait for Keith and we'd head out there as soon as he arrived.

Keith finally showed up around 7 p.m. I bought him a transit pass like I did Rob just in case they'd need it. During a game day, sometimes they check for the passes on the train and sometimes they don't. We jumped on the train and headed to the game. I know they built a train track to the AAC but didn't know if it left from the West End or Union Station stop. We rode down to Union Station. I checked around to see if there was anyone to help but there wasn't. Shawn just happened to call me and asked where we were. I told him where we were and he said, "Dude, we just walked from West End." I said, "I know but Keith is complaining that it must be like a 20-minute walk." Lazy freakin' ass. Shawn said, "The first period is about over and I'm hungry so when you get here could you buy me a drink and some food on your way to the seats?" I said, "Funny!" He said, "These seats are so good that I don't want to leave them!" So, Keith and I rode back to West End. We were going to walk if I couldn't find the game train. I saw some transit cops and asked them about the Victory train - that's what it's called. They said it leaves the West End stop and it's destination sign is black versus red or blue like the normal trains.

About ten minutes later, the train shows up and drops us off almost on the door step to the AAC. We walk about 50-100 feet to the entrance and lucky for us the path to our seats was right in front of the same entrance. Things were looking up! We go to our seats and man, they were pretty friggin' sweet! About eight rows from the glass just above the top of the glass so the glass doesn't distort your view at angle shots. Amazing, just simply amazing!

The second period was about two minutes away from starting so I ran back to the concessions to get something to eat and drink. I bought Shawn, Rob and myself a personal pizza, a Diet Coke for me and Dr Pepper for Shawn and Rob to share if they wanted. They were ecstatic as well. Free tickets and food, who wouldn't be? I figured with all Shawn's help and accommodating us for a month it was the least I could do. Rob just happened to be able to reap some benefits. Unfortunately, I had to watch about eight minutes of the second period on the telly above the concessions because the line was only five people deep but the cashier was being manned by "slow motion granny"!

Finally, I was able to sit and enjoy the seats. And MY FREAKIN' GAWD they were great seats. I was in hockey heaven! I just can't explain it. You'd have to experience it and if you have you suck!

Anyhow, the game was good. The Stars lost but it was still a great game to watch. So now I wait until I can get these tickets offered to me again. I am filled with anticipation. Fingers are crossed and I've click my heels three times chanting "please let me get more games to attend".

I guess that's about it. I'm sure it's been just as exciting for you as it was for me.

No comments: