Saturday, October 08, 2005

The 'N' word

Why is the ‘N’ word – you know, nigger – bleeped out in movies that are played on network television?

Honky, cracker, chink or spic isn’t bleeped. The latter two words have just as much history and derogatory inflection but I guess they aren’t as wide-scale? I don’t know.

I used to work with this black guy at my previous job. We talked about the ‘N’ word spoken between white/black and black/black. He told me that black people call each other “nigger” or primarily, “nigga”. That’s the cool term, in his words. But a white person can ONLY call a black person “nigga”.

Maybe it’s kind of like how I refer to my guy friends as “bitch”, “whore”, “slut”, “cock munch” or pretty much any other term of friendship endearment. I guess those don’t have historical inflection of racial injustices?

I’m not sure why “bitch” and “dammit” aren’t bleeped from movies either but I’m not a part of the FCC.

Just a thought since I was watching some movie that was bleeping and not bleeping certain words.

No comments: