Thursday, March 18, 2010

The new "A Nightmare on Elm Street"

Apparently remakes are all the rage in Hollyweird these days. No previously shot film is safe from the possibility of being rehashed into someone else's vision.

A Nightmare on Elm Street is the newest...victim. The original Nightmare was pretty good. I saw this when I was like 14 or something and it kept my ass from entering any boiler room looking areas. It was also before TiVo so the too-quick frames of Nancy (aka Heather Langenkamp) being pulled underwater, nude, when she fell asleep in her bathtub were tough to see but well worth slow-mo on the VCR.

Anyway, it was the hit-and-typically-miss sequels that followed. Dream Warriors was sort of acceptable for about 3-5 minutes because I got to see the nurse's big boobs which was quickly ruined when she started lashing out worm-tongues to hold the guy to the bed posts. We thought it was all over with I think flick #6 called Freddy's Dead. WRONG!

Of course, I will rent the movie once it comes out on DVD. It's a sort of self-punishment I like to put myself through, I guess. As long as it's not costly for me, I'll watch just about any movie just to see what it was about and to say, "I've seen it."

The new movie looks like it has some decent scenes and such but I'm not fully sold on Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Krueger. From the trailer, he just doesn't seem to have that eerie voice or look (he looks scarier without make-up) like Robert Englund. Jackie sounds like a smoker such as he did in Watchmen.

We'll just have to wait and see what the flick brings us once it premieres.

No comments: