Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Better trained staff

The kids and I went to On The Border last night. We sat in an older woman's section. Her name was Suzi, I think. She was nice but a little odd.

All started out normal. She approached, bringing us chips and four ramikens of salsa (there were three of us).

She asked what we'd like to drink and we gave our orders. She asked if we'd like some queso and I said, "A cup, please." She said, "Okay," and went on her way.

When she came back and asked if we were ready to order I asked, "Do you have ribs here?" I figured not but thought I'd ask since the kids asked me.

Suzi said, "No, but if you want ribs there is a Chili's down the street that serves ribs."

I told her, "No. They wanted 'The Border' but just had a quick thought of ribs."

I don't know if I'd want my employees promoting another business as a manager. They need to train their people...no matter what business...some helpful cookie-cutter responses.

Suzi should have said something like, "No, we don't serve ribs but our brisket tacos are a good alternative."

I almost was tempted to walk out and telling the manager-on-duty exactly why..."I'm not unhappy. I'm just taking my server's advice to go to Chili's...your competitor!"

Sent on the Super Jay Network from Super Jay's BlackBerry®


No comments: