Tuesday, March 16, 2010

P90X - The Proof, The "Restarted" -- Started

Started P90X again on Tuesday, March 9th.

I talked the wife into doing it with me. We started Tuesday because she works all day on Monday from 8:30am - 10:30pm. I told her we could claim that as her "off" night (7th day) so she would not have to work out at 11:30pm. I may or may not do Stretch X or relax X. I don't know yet.

My wife's not athletic at all. She's not very coordinated either. She's fucking smart as shit though so it makes up for her lack of physical prowess. :-) I'm glad she was interested in participating though. She's lost a good bit of weight doing her Weight Watcher's. She's thinner but she's not really tone, at all. I don't mind but she's made comments about needing to tone and yada, yada, yada. Now granted, P90X probably isn't the program she should jump into as a non-athlete but I figured that if she could do some of it, she could eventually do more of it, and then maybe even do all of it (Yes, I am an optimist at times). It's also nice that Master Tony includes variations of the exercises for those people not as athletically inclined as others.

So, DAY ONE - CHEST & BACK started out well. I do enjoy the workout once I get started. It's just getting started that is the tough part, in all things, for me.
  • The warm up began and the wife wasn't properly prepared with her breast support. When we began to jog in place, she could have gotten black eyes. She made a note for next time to wear better support. She snapped at me a few times when I commented on her form but I was only trying to stress what Master Tony says about good form and "quality over quantity." She quipped back at me when we were doing arm circles with fingers up stating that I wasn't doing them very big. I said because I know what's coming up and I'm pacing myself. Warm up done and we didn't kill each other and neither one of us collapsed.
I'm not commenting on every exercise as I forget them but I will include all similar ones together and an occasional individual one...maybe.
  • Push-ups are not my forte and they weren't even close for the wife. I was pleasantly surprised though that I didn't have the embarrassing quantity or quality this time as I did the first go round back in September. No excuses, but I have a very hurt wrist like a carpal may be out of place in my right hand so it was very painful to do push-ups. I still did them. The wife on the other hand had a little more trouble. She did the knee push-ups. Not many of them but she tried and she did some. It's a start.
  • Pull-ups were a little easier for her as I use bands. They are 30-lb bands. What that means really I don't know but they were the most "weighted" bands I could find. I don't have a pull-up bar and we do this in my two-car garage so I don't have a door jam to put one up anyway if I had one. Besides, the bands were like $25 and the pull-up bars + installation materials would cost me well over that.

    Anyway, the wife enjoyed the pull-ups a little more as there isn't as much weight force up on the arms (thanks to the bands) compared to the weight applied from push-ups. Not to minimize but it is easier to pull 30 lbs up and down versus your own body weight when just starting a work out.

We didn't do Ab Ripper X. The wife stated that the C & B routine was enough for her on her first day ever of exercising. I could have done it without her but I was lacking some motivation.

DAY TWO - PLYOMETRICS came and went. The wife wasn't looking forward to it to begin with but I told her we had to stick to the routine. We were kind of busy that day and it just kind of lapsed us by. I like Plyometrics but I justified skipping it because I just played tennis Saturday and Sunday morning for about 5 hours. I figured that was pretty comparable to Plyometrics.

DAY THREE - SHOULDERS & ARMS was another difficult one to schedule. Again, we were very busy but finally found some time about 8:30pm when the doorbell rang. It was her best friend that she hadn't seen in a while. I had a feeling she wasn't going to leave anytime soon. I waited and waited for her to leave but they had some "girl gossip" to catch up on so I decided to go workout on my own. I completed S & A but the wife did not finish her visit until a little before I was done. Once again, I skipped Ab Ripper X because I was too tired and demotivated!
------------ INTERRUPTION ------------
I started this post a few days ago but due to many interruptions I never finished. So I will truncate, fast-forward, summarize.

Days 4, 5, and 6 were a bust. Neither of us did Yoga on day 4. The weather was just too good. The kids had friends over and we all just kind of hung out and then I started a fire pit fire where the kids could roast marshmallows. It was a busy day for the family so Yoga was put on the shelf.

Legs & Back on day 5 never happened either. It was too, too nice of a day to spend indoors. Day 5 falls on Saturday which is my for-sure tennis day (Sunday is usually last minute optional) as long as the weather is nice. I did play four hours of really good tennis, running down balls (legs) to hit them with a forehand or backhand (back/core). The play was a 4.0 rating for sure except for my partner's occasional (many) flubs! I figured it was a good enough justification to not do L & B as well since I'm usually a little rickety after tennis. LOL!

Kenpo X on day 6 was put off as well. I had a roller hockey game at 5pm that I figured was a good replacement (more of a fat-burning workout for sure) than Kenpo. I had to take the kids to my sister-in-law's because they are on spring break and wanted to see their cousin. By time I got back to Dallas from Keller, I had to get my hockey gear together and head to Addison/Richardson for my game. After the game, I thought about doing Kenpo but I was really tired and had homework to do...which I avoided in the end as well.

So there is the recap of week 1 of "the restart." It wasn't perfect but I am confident that it was okay since I was active. I just wasn't exact to the daily routines. Today, we will start C & B again. We'll see if the wife continues. I actually have to play tennis from around 7pm to 10pm so I may not get it done today. I may have to do two tomorrow or stay up late tonight. Neither is a welcomed thought because of the timing issues, not because of the exercises themselves. For me, it really comes down to being able to do some extensive exercising more often because once-a-week-sometimes-twice tennis is not enough for me. I don't eat a lot but I also don't do as much activity (the level I like and require) as I did when I was younger.

Here's to continued following of Master Tony's routine!

No comments: