Friday, April 23, 2010

Notebooks with number keypad intergrated in the keyboard

I'm so tired of these notebooks with built-on/added-in/integrated number key pads. They are not functional enough.

I can touch-type ten-key. Which is basically the same thing as a number pad on a full-sized keyboard. These are not correctly laid out. So why put them on the notebook if you are going to keep them uniform? Duh!

I don't know the exact model of my "huge" notebook but it's an ASUS. I'm sure I posted about it before/when I got it but it had a built-in number pad. I didn't buy it for that fact but I thought it was an added bonus. I was half right.

I like using the number pad when I am typing a lot of numbers, especially when I'm entering things in Excel for home or even doing work (rarely) at home. On my full-size keyboard number pad, I know where every +, -, /, *, and . is because in my experience all the full-size keyboard number pads have been universally the same.

Not so with the notebook number pad. The period/decimal is in a different place for one. With my checking account register in an Excel file, this is a big disappointment because it really slows me down on multiple-keyed numerical entries from the number pad. It's become a inconvenient convenience.


No comments: