Friday, April 16, 2010

Spartacus: Blood and Sand (a Starz original series)

Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

A tennis buddy of mine told me last week that he had seen the first six episodes of this series at a neighbor's house. I've seen it advertised before but I hadn't any desire to watch it nor did I have the direct means since I do not pay for "premium" channels. I don't see any real point in getting HBO, SHO, MAX, or STARZ for the occasional mini-series because the benefit does not even come close to outweighing the cost.

Anyway, my friend mentioned it and said he found it interesting. He said he knows why his neighbor (a female transplant from Canada that reaps the benefits of American business and wages but has no positive thing to say about her current residence country). The show has a lot of full-frontal male nudity. What he didn't mention that the amount of dick-swinging is double or even tripled by the gratuitous female boobs and lady gardens exposed. You gotta love the Romans!

I just finished watching the 12th episode with the 13th and finale for season one coming up in the next day or two. I have to say they did some pretty good graphics and imagery with the sword-slicing, blood-splashing, blood-gurgling, gut-exposing battles. The acting is pretty good too. I hate to see good characters get killed because you like them so much and you want them to stick around longer for the series.

Without getting into it any further, I'll just end by saying, "Give it a chance. Take a look. See how you like it. If you can get it "free or near-free," it's an even better show because you don't have to compare it to the costs. What I hate about getting invested in yet another show is the time between seasons. Season one will end and who the hell knows when season two will be picked up, filmed and shown.

Below is a screen capture of the content warning for this series. I gave me a chuckle. I didn't see it until episode 9 or 10 because I've been watching them on my computer and I assume they weren't all properly cropped or the content warning was edited out for lack of any real need to have it as a viewer. Anyway...




No comments: