Saturday, April 24, 2010

Rusty Taco - corner of Greenville Ave and University Blvd

The wife and I visited the new Rusty Taco over at the corner of Greenville Avenue and University Boulevard on Thursday, April 22nd. I think it's been open for a week or so. We just happened to be out and about and decided to give it a try.

After we pulled into the parking lot, got out of the car, and walked towards the entrance (facing University Blvd), we see that some child has blown chunks, a lot and huge ones, on the ground right in front of the doorway. An interesting way to start our experimentation.

Luckily, there is another entrance which many people were glad to use even though many others didn't seem to notice or care that there was puke in front of the other door because they just walked right in it and through the door. This further proves to me that the people in this area don't pay the fuck attention or just really don't give a shit. I'm sure it's half and half.

Anyway, we get into line to order after perusing the menu. As we are about to walk towards the register, some old fat fucking woman cuts in front of us. She wasn't in line. She was more to the side of the line thinking she was in fucking line. She caught me at a good time because I was thoroughly amused at the puke. Otherwise, this dip-shit-line-cutter would have gotten a piece of my mind! The cashier was aware of this old fucks mistake and although the wife said she mouthed the words, "I'm sorry," to her, she should have told Lil' Miss Numb Nuts to get the fuck in the back of the line!

We were patient and not in a hurry so it didn't totally bother us (it does more now than it did then for me). We ordered something like 2 brisket, 2 fish (1 grilled, 1 fried), 2 pork, 1 beef and 1 shrimp (breaded/fried) tacos. They are $2 a taco so our bill was something like $16 + tax. After something around 5-10 minutes of wait time, they got kind of busy, our to-go order was ready and we headed home.

I was anxious to see what the hype was about and to see if it was worth the $2 per taco as I can get a #1 at Taco Bell which includes a burrito supreme, taco supreme and medium drink for like $4.89. I didn't think to take a picture of the other variety of tacos but this is one of the pork (left), I think, and the brisket (right). All came on corn tortillas.

What you see is what you get. Their definition of veggies or garnish is basically a sprinkling of chopped cilantro. The white stuff on the brisket taco I believe is gouda cheese. We both didn't recall seeing any kind of veggie or toppings bar in the place. I could have missed it but if we did, it obviously wasn't something that stuck out or was easily recognizable to us.

At first, we thought, "That's not a lot for $2," but then I began to rationalize it by thinking how most places skimp on the meat part of any item. As you can see from the picture, they didn't skimp much if at all on the meat ingredient which is totally fine by me! Now, I do like me some cheese, diced tomatoes, or even lettuce but I'm not going to complain much with this amount of meat. The beef/chicken/steak tacos at Taco Bell have a very thin layer or slices of the meet and then you have an okay amount of the garnishes on top. That's okay because they aren't too heavily overpriced but at the same time, I'd like to have some sustenance in it.

So, the flavor of the shrimp taco was just okay. I feel like the breading was soggy. It's like they put all the hot breaded shrimp in a container and the moisture that collects in the stainless steel bucket soggied it. The flavor was alright but I found myself thinking about how much better the baja shrimp tacos at Taco Bell were much better.

The beef and pork tacos were okay. The flavor was decent and the meat tender. The overall savoriness was good but it wasn't something that wowed me and made me desire more.

I didn't have any of the fish tacos but the wife said the fried fish taco was very good. She said the grilled fish taco was also very good but the fried one was much better.

The brisket tacos were very good. They had good flavor and tenderness. Just typing about them, makes my mouth water. The gouda cheese added to the flavor and made this my favorite of the bunch I tried.

The only thing I would say as an overall statement is that the tacos are probably best eaten as soon as or shortly after you are called to pick up your order. We have maybe a five minute drive home and by the time we started to eat the tacos, the corn tortillas were too frail and began to tear, rip and subsequently fall apart. This just meant that you'd be eating the meat off your plate (or foil wrapper) with your fingers or fork/spoon.

Again, we were concerned that we weren't getting a good price at $2 but I think if you compare the amount of meat in this taco $2 versus another "fast food" place, then the price seems more reasonable. Now how long they last with the generous fillings who knows. Chipotle used to do the same when they first opened up on Southwestern Blvd and Central Expressway (US 75) but now they skimp on the meat fillings and just about everything else.

I guess my overall rating is a thumbs up. I mean I will go back again and try eating at the restaurant to see if it makes a difference with the durability of the corn tortilla. I also want to try the few variations left that we have not had yet. Rusty Taco may be a decent happy hour and after-work gathering locale because it serves beer but some people may not want/like the combination of alcohol and Tex-Mex.

So, give it a try. It's at least worth that for sure.

No comments: