Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rusty Taco - 2nd visit


(From left to right: Beef Fajita, Rusty, Fried Fish.)

The wife and I decided to hit the Rusty Taco for lunch today. I've previously posted about my first visit hence this is my second.

The beef fajita taco touted "with grilled onions." You can see them a little bit but I wouldn't say it was "onions." More like some-nions. Or very small ground worms you find in your lawn. The meat was okay tasting but I wasn't overly impressed and wowed. I could have gotten (and have) a better fajita taste from a fajita item at Taco Bell for around the same price.

The rusty taco touted "made with pineapple." Can you find the pineapple in the picture? It looks like a chunk of potato but that's to be expected with it being cooked with the meat and sauce. The problem with saying "made with pineapple" is where is the combination of meat and pineapple? To me, it would have been better made if a larger pineapple piece was sliced into many smaller pieces and spread on top of the meat. The menu description wasn't stated as "with a piece of pineapple garnish." As far as overall taste, I'd have to put it at the bottom of my faves list with the pork (2nd to worst), beef (1st to worst) and now rusty (worst).

The fried fish was actually pretty good. It was flavorful with whatever sauce they put on it. The problem for me was it really didn't remind me of fish or even something close to fish (like Vandekamp's fish sticks). If you look at them in the picture, they look like potato wedges. Now they don't taste like potato but they also didn't scream fish. They were flavorful but I think because of the sauce and not their own flavor. If I visit a 3rd time, I may have to try them again and eat it without the sauce to get a good read on the taste.

The chips and salsa are very good. They give you generous amount of both chips and salsa for $1 + tax. We also had water to drink.

I guess my last remaining thought is something I mentioned to the wife while we were dining inside. I can go to Taco Bell and get the three taco supremes value meal for about $5 in all. I'm never hungry after eating the three Taco Bell taco supremes plus I get a soda to quench my thirst and wash down the food. The flavor of the taco supremes is good for ground beef plus I get lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese and sour creme. After I spent about $6.50 for only tacos at Rusty Taco, I was still a little hungry. Add a $0.55 for half of chips and salsa since we shared and now I spent a little over $7 and I was still hungry. I'm not sure if that's a good investment for my money. That's kind of why I go to North Main BBQ for $12 all-u-can-eat instead of some other BBQ place that charges me $10-$12 for a non-refillable plate meal. I don't dislike Rusty Taco. I just think my money goes farther for more filling items at some other places, not just Taco Bell.

Anyway, there is some food for thought. Enjoy!

Sent on the Super Jay Network from Super Jay's BlackBerry®


No comments: