Thursday, August 18, 2005

Fall 2005 semester commences

Today is officially the first day of classes for the Fall 2005 semester. Yes, I am taking a class this term. Just one. I thought about two but since I took off the second summer term I figured I should restart my easing back into college. You may laugh but I know me and if I bog myself down too much with family, work, fun and school then something will have to go to the wayside and it won't be the first three. Definitely won't be the first two! So the transition needs to be slow. Hell, I've waited 10 years what is another 5-10. LOL!

My class is on M-W-F from 9-950 a.m. so my first day is tomorrow. I still need to get my book for class. It'll probably be like a hundred bucks just for this one class. I'm taking an economics course...micro, I think. I'm sure this course will have like 30-40 kids in it unlike my summer I rhetoric course which had 7. I'm not sure how this old horndog will handle this. Between having to hang with all these kids, I will probably also have to put up with hot, scantily clad coeds. The pain and suffering I will endure! LOL!

Oh well.

My wife starts teaching her class tomorrow too. She'll also teach a Tuesday evening course. Fun. Fun!

My kids start school on Monday. That's about 1-3 weeks after most of their friends and cousins. They passed a vote to have school start after Labor Day starting next school year so I assume everyone will pretty much start within a few days of each other if not the same day. I think this is a good idea. Right now kids are starting as early as August 8th and they got out last year around mid-June. Did it really help the students learn more? I don't think so.

What it did was allow the poor people, like myself but not entirely, have more days where their kids will be "watched" and less hours to pay to a after-school program or daycare because they are not home from work in time. Extending school was a big benefit to these people.

Well, the rich stepped in and said that we can't plan vacations. So, who do you think won? Yep, the rich.

Like I said, I'm glad because I don't think they really learn anymore for that extra month total that they are in school. Some had longer school but got an extra "fall" and/or "spring" break. Not to be confused with the week for Thanksgiving, the two weeks for Christmas and the week for Spring Break. This would have been a cool benefit if I was a teen in school but for some this poses problems with work. That's an extra week of vacation, babysitter or daycare a parent has to pay.

So, I'll get off my podium. Didn't mean to ramble.

This summer seemed so short. It flew by so fast. I remember when I was young and the school year would drag but the summer seemed quick. It seemed even quicker this past summer. I don't know why. My kids are excited and nervous to return to school. They want to see friends and have P.E. and all that but are a little edgy about having a new teacher in a new grade. All those things most of us felt when we were young.

Well, it's about lunch time now so I need to get ready to meet my wife and kids. It's their last two days of being able to see me for lunch without me coming to their school. Plus my wife teaches during lunchtime so tomorrow is out for the "family" lunch.

More later.

No comments: