Thursday, August 11, 2005

Well, my confusion has been un-confused

The other day I went to get fitted for a tux for Shawn's upcoming wedding. He asked me to be in it but he didn't tell me my role. I would be happy as just a groomsman but I looked at my receipt from the tuxedo place (I didn't have to pay, they just give you a receipt of all your measurements and all for reference if someone loses it at the store) and I saw that my "role" is listed as "best man". That's cool and all but I was now confused because Shawn told me before without my asking that he wasn't sure who the best man would be. No sweat for me because like I said, I'd be happy just being a groomie. But this receipt had confused me because Shawn hadn't told me himself but maybe this was his subtle way. See my confusion?

I went to lunch today with Shawn and a mutual friend, Rob. He's more of a friend, good friend obviously, to Shawn. Shawn has him as a groomsman in his wedding too. We went to a Chinese buffet restaurant.  It was pretty good but not as good as the one I went to last on Park Lane and US 75. We ate a few plates and had a little down time before we left and Shawn started his stumbling, bumbling speaking which typically means he has something important but nerve-racking for him to say. He said, "Well, I guess I'll just come out and say it. I can't choose between the two of you so I'm going to have two best men." Rob was like, "Dude, you and Jason have long term friendship history together. He should be the best man. It's no big deal to me if he's best man and I'm not." I was like, "Dude, true we have history but it's not like we've hung out a whole lot the past few years so you should be the best man." But...I guess there is going to be two best men, then. Truthfully, it wouldn't hurt my feelings either way. I mean, true, Shawn and I DO have long-term friend history but we've kind of moved past that since all the hoopla that went on before (see this blog entry). I mean I do think I deserve the respect I've always deserved and making me best man could be a show of this from Shawn. Also, Rob isn't as good of a friend as I was because I've known Shawn for a LONG time and know things about Shawn that Rob probably never will simply because I was there or whatever. On the other hand, Rob has been the one to help him with all things the past year or so because I've taken myself out of the "friends-with-Shawn" picture. I don't compete for friendship or attention, especially when I have been a way better friend than he has been or anyone else could be to him. Just my opinion but others would see it my way as well. Anyway, I'm just going with the flow of things with his wedding and all. I'm not required to put out much effort, if any, and I'm happy for him, to an extent, but being cordial is about all I can do.

So, I get back from lunch to tell my wife about the best man thing and some other things I found out and she kicks me to the curb because she was over her best friend, Angela's, house with our kids so they could play with Angela's kids. I call her to talk for no more than 15-20 minutes and I get kicked to the curb.

Oh well, I guess I'm out of here!

No comments: