Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Why Marriage?

As Shawn's upcoming nuptials are getting closer, it makes me wonder about why people think marriage is a final step in a relationship. Truthfully, death and/or divorce is really the final step but that's negative right, so nobody says it.

People like Shawn and Theresa have been together for years, at least 6+. In religions eyes, they've already sinned by living and sleeping together for the 6+ years so what's the point of marriage? All things are going great in the relationship. Man loves woman. Woman loves man. Blah! Blah! Blah! Why marry?

Now, I can see some advantages to marriage. It's better to be married for taxes especially if you have kids but the benefits are really minimal until the child(ren) arrive. In the military, you get the flag from the casket if your husband dies otherwise it goes to a family member if you are just a longtime couple. I guess if you have kids it looks good for them to see that you are married so they don't live lives of lust and adultery when they get older but again that goes to the "church" point of view.

I'm just not getting the whole "we need to get married" thing. Yes, I am married. Yes, I got married because that's what I thought you were supposed to do - date, marry, procreate then die. That's the four-step program of life, right? Well, I love my wife and kids and I wouldn't change it for the world but I still wonder why people feel marriage is a finality to show that my wife is my soul mate and I love her.

I made a promise to my wife when we got married. A vow they call it. To me, it wasn't made so much in the eyes of God but a commitment - a promise - that I made to myself in her behalf that she is the only one I will fornicate with! LOL!

As I get older, I am hoping she'll bend the rules for me if I get the chance to bed down with Natalie Portman, Rachel McAdams or Scarlett Johannson but that's a big hope. Not that she'll bend the rules but that I'd even have a chance of being in the same room with one of the three much less getting an offer of one glorious night in the sack with them. LOL!

I remember when I got married people would ask, "so, when are you going to have kids? When are you going to buy a house?" blah, blah blah. I didn't get married to have kids. I didn't get married to buy a house. I could have done all that without marriage. Plus, I had kids when I was damn, good and ready!

So there's the rant. It was sparked by the wedding rehearsal and day schedule I was sent by the bride. I saw all kinds of 'TO DO' things and was just wondering, "WHY"?

No comments: