Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

This is a few days late. Who cares, sue me!

So, it was Mother's Day Sunday. The wife and kids went to her sisters in Keller. They were going to hang out and play. Their mother was going to stop on her way back from her mother's in Fort Worth. I opted not to go. It's not very fun for me and I saw it as an opportunity to play another few hours of tennis against my loser TCC mates.

I got to the courts a little later than I wanted. I hit around for about an hour and played only two actual "competition" sets. I wanted to get out earlier but I kept contemplating whether or not I really wanted to go. When I finally decided that I should, it was like 10:30am by the time I got there. Part of the reason I finally decided to go was that I started thinking about going to North Main BBQ afterwards. Ummmmm, it's been a while since I'd been and what better time to go than when I am not expected back home by the wife after tennis by a certain time.

Anyway, I was at the courts about on my way to North Main BBQ when I saw Lynn about to start practicing her serve. Sidenote: I don't know Lynn's last name even though I've "known" her for give or take about five years.

I was just shooting the shit with her while she was serving when I asked her, "So, what are you doing for Mother's Day?" She replied, "I'm going to go to my mother's later for a little bit." I said, "Oh, that's cool that your mother's in the area."

She said, "Yeah. So, is your mother in the area?" I said, "Yeah, she's right basically around the corner from here." She said, "Well, that's good that your mother is close too. Are you going to see her?" I said, "Nah, I don't think so. I haven't been there in a few years."

She said, "Why?" I said, "I don't much like cemeteries."

She was like, "Jay! I'm so sorry [laughs with the nervous chuckle of someone who feels embarrassed like they stuck their foot in their mouth]." I said, "Don't worry about it. I've been okay with my mom being gone for some time. It's not a big deal."

She said, "So you don't go to the cemetery to see your mother's grave?" I said, "Nope. I don't feel like I need to. My mom isn't there. She's all around me, in my mind, in my kids, she's everywhere. The grave is just where her body was placed. I don't need to go there to talk to her or visit her."

After this, we started talking about something else...her dating issues, I think.

But anyway, I thought that was a funny trick I played on her. I told her that if she was sly and cunning like me she would have gone about asking about my mother a different way like I did.

See, I asked her, "What are you doing for Mother's Day?" And she replied, "I'm going to go to my mother's..." That right there told me that her mother was still alive. Smart, huh? Besides, I've known Lynn since and before my mom passed away. She should have known or remembered that she passed away. I don't hold it against her though because I forget shit, even important shit, all the time.

I just thought it was fun to mess with her.

No comments: